“Our Anniversary DInner”
Review of Chez Nous

Chez Nous
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Nous is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 296 Restaurants in Schenectady
Reviewed 20 December 2015

This was our anniversary dinner, though we never disclosed that, and the restaurant’s inaugural Saturday night. There was a very tastefully lit Christmas tree out front in the colors of France’s flag. This was a nice touch. We arrived on time for our 5 PM reservation. On entering, there were several reprimands overheard about a wait person not having an apron on, and there not being the correct menus at the front station. We were seated in what I will call the sun porch, which was lovely. The music was a tad loud, and the volume was promptly turned down upon request. The waiter spoke some French, and was quite pleasant, if not a little formal for my tastes. The tables here are close, too close for my comfort, and they might do well with one fewer table for two. I heard other guests say the same.

The chestnut soup and French onion soup (I tasted both) were superb, and held much promise for the evening. The bread was warm and tasty. The wrong entree was served to one of us (the same thing happened at the table next to us), and this was not realized until tasted. An offer was made to change it out, but not wanting to waste food, my spouse accepted the monk fish, and was charged for it. The fish was fresh, though did not particularly stand out. The medium rare chateaubriand, priced at $35, came medium well, and smoked the restaurant in the process. The 2 end pieces were well done. This came after assurances from the waiter that the chef was well-versed in cooking to the desired temperature.

All in all, I would go back, but would give it a few months, to allow time to work out some of the kinks. It may just have been opening jitters. The décor is lovely, and the bathrooms clean and well-designed. The owner graciously offered a tour before we left, and the entire layout is well-done, and comforting to the eye. Next time we will request a room in the library upstairs, which promises to be more spacious and quieter.

5  Thank Letitsnow2015

Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

Bienvenue to this lovely new restaurant in Schenectady. In a city well known for great Italian restaurants, Chez Nous offers a lovely alternative. Delicious French home cooking - even the butter is made in premises - in a warm, gracious setting. Diverse menu selection and wine list. Bon Apetit!

6  Thank cpat29