“Deceptive”
Review of Jue Lan Club

Jue Lan Club
Ranked #58 of 81 Restaurants in Southampton
Reviewed 28 August 2016

Average fast food Chinese restaurant fare served in a nice atmosphere and not in an aluminum foil container. Read your bill carefully the prices they charge are more than what is posted on the menu...and no it wasn't an honest mistake, the computer generated bill has different prices than the menu. When you inquire about the discrepancy the new computerized bill has to label the correct item "open plate". The waitress obviously feigned surprise. If that wasn't bad enough she returned with the wrong change also not in our favor.
The restaurant does have nice decor and is clean and attractive, kudos for that. But the food is unspectacular and is definitely not cooked to order. Our dinner came out within 2 minutes of the order being placed and I noticed the same thing at all adjoining tables. So either they are microwaving everything or they have all entrees on the pot ready for a moments notice in the kitchen and the quality of the food tastes like it as well.
Always hoping for good restaurants to make it in the Hamptons, this is not one, I hope it's gone in a year.

Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Had dinner here with family, menu looked good and the set menu was interesting. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. The food was pretty average, may give it another try later

Reviewed 18 August 2016

This restaurant is a mess. We finally got a waiter who took the order and then disappeared for the rest of the meal. We had asked for ice for our water, and after asking 3 different people, it never came. We asked for a second soda, and it too never came. We finally complained to the manager who apologized and said he would deliver a free dessert. But the dessert too never came. Rather, we got a check charging us for the dessert we had not ordered -- but was supposed to have been comped -- and that had not come. Finally, on their recommendation, we had ordered the Chicken Jue Lan which was a "signature" dish. I guess it was supposed to be a variation of lemon chicken. But this one had no flavor but a watery sauce and the breaded chicken was soggy. A total mess.

Reviewed 29 July 2016

This was an overall poor experience! Friends gave us mixed reviews so we decided to give it a try. The service was terrible 35 minutes for drink order. The manager/owner came over and was extremely defensive when complained about the service. Another 20 minutes till we ordered.
The food was good but a knock off of MR Chows and not worth it. $360. For 4 without drinks. I ordered Don Julio Anejo on the rocks...she brought me (without telling me ) Don Julio 1942 and charged me $45...shameful.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

Wanted to give this new establishment time to get the bugs out so went mid July. Wasn't there for the club, just the restaurant. It's an attractive place, always has been. Friendly welcome, and service issues I'd heard about seem to be resolved. Ordinarily this is good but in the case of Jue Lan it meant we got our punishment sooner. Needless to say it's expensive, everything out east is, but it's particularly so for the quality ( lack of) & presentation of crummy Chinese food. The rock shrimp app was unimaginative, no accompaniments, just a plate of shrimp with a cheese wiz type coating. That was the good part. We ordered Chicken Jue Lan and a Hot & Numbing Crispy Beef, along with some fried rice. The numbing must have referred to the sensation of biting into stale, tasteless batter encasing something which could have been a strip of beef but it was impossible to tell. I suppose at best I could say it was tasteless, but the reaction was more so one of ingesting something then quickly reaching for the container to read an expiration date long since past. It resembled no other food substance in my history. We quickly moved on to the Chicken Jue Lan, a reddish colored plate with perfectly cubed chunks of something. It was so sweet and gooey, it was difficult to ascertain the principal ingredient. Like take out but very bad take out, reheated multiple times. On to the fried rice. I've never had bad fried rice until this time. I can't explain what was wrong with it other than it was tasteless and seemed stale. Not to be too harsh, but it tasted like it was made a few days ago. We asked for our check and again the service was impeccable. We were quickly on our way out, $180 down, feeling badly for the unsuspecting newbies on their way to a meal which would be much better enjoyed over a counter, from little white boxes. In fairness that's an unwarranted knock on Chinese take out, which can be excellent. I'm talking about the kind served by bored American teenagers in a cafeteria. I'm sorry this review is so poor. They seemed like nice people but the food was deplorable.