2,778 results
All reviewsteak elephantwild beachle siriusgolf coursethai restaurantgrand portsirius restaurantclose to the airportporto vecchiokids clubwater sportstennis courtswater skiingour honeymoondeluxe roommain poolwine list
Reviewed 19 August 2015

We stayed at the Shandrani for 10 nights in July and had our best family holiday ever. We stayed in two interconnecting Deluxe rooms which were unexpectedly spacious and comfortable. They have been refurbished to a high standard with everything we needed.Highly recommended for a family holiday and the staff are all great. All inclusive package was excellent (Mauritius does not do all inclusive very well, but since November 2014 the Shandrani has introduced a good value package.)

Thats all you really need to know, but this next part of the review contains some tips and details 3 amazing excursions. I have tried to describe some points that would have helped me.

Rooms
The deluxe rooms was lovely. the Superior ones looked a bit small and patio furniture was in need of replacement. Wifi in the rooms but not public areas or the beach.

Bars
Best all inclusive bars I have seen with quality brands. There is a list but you can go "off list" and order any international cocktail/drink and wine by the bottle if required. Kids loved the milk shakes. The entertainment was a Sega night plus resident bands on other nights. It is pretty low key stuff and hasn’t changed since my previous trip 25 years ago! There was no disco as described in some other reviews.

Restaurants
Book early if you want to eat a la carte in the restaurants.
Grand Port is the buffet. It serves great breakfast. For my taste I found the buffet dinner a bit standard and repetative. Tek is thai cuisine of a high standard and excellent service. The Sirius is best at lunch time. Boucanier was closed. The dress code is not a strict as it could be and smart jeans are allowed.

Beach
All three are very well maintained and very scenic. The drinks cart is a brilliant idea. Beach towels provided. The hawkers are friendly and harmless but can get quite annoying as they dont take no for an answer. This happens everywhere in Mauritius so not unusual.

Noise levels
Don't under estimate how close to the runway you are. At night you can clearly see the lights from the runway over the bay. There are also more flights than I expected and the large ones are very noisy. However this only lasted seconds and I actually found it quite amusing. Would be a shock if you didn't know about it on arrival. Book a room near the Sirius Bar if you want less noise from aircraft, however at this end of the resort the waves breaking on the reef is audible day and night. The noise did not bother me at all.

Weather
When I stayed on the east coast the weather was lovely in the winter. when it did rain it would pour down for 10 minutes and then the sun would be out again. However, the Shandani is on the exposed south west coast and we suffered some very disappointing weather with two days of drizzle. It was warm, but take jumper/jacket for the evening.

Sport
The water sports were well run but quite busy. you need to book all avtivities in advance even though the resort was not busy. The golf course was well designed and challenging for a par 3 course. Take golf balls with you.

Excursions
Available to book through the hotel, but I recommend you do your own research.
Boat trip
We went on a fabulous day trip on “Peter Pan” booked through Mr Silvain on the beach. We ordered a packed lunch from the hotel room service (cost 400mr per adult). The included a speed boat to Ille aux Cerf, monkeys and waterfall. Snorkelling on the way home at a spot that put the marine park to shame.
Horse Racing
Every Saturday in Port Louis. Not put on for tourists but very popular with Mauritian men. If you do go then pay to go in the grandstand but make sure you dress “smart casual” (no flip flops) or you wont get in. There are bookies but I found the tote much easier and more accessible. If you fail the dress code (like I did!) then there is a box that they sometimes use for tourists. On the day we went there were 5 groups of inappropriately dressed tourists and a guide to help you out with betting if a novice.
Horse Riding
The hotel offers a trip to a nature reserve which is a pleasant walk ride suitable for beginners through the reserve. For the more adventerous book with Arumina at Centre Equestre De Riambel (has own listing on trip advisor and excellent reviews).

Room Tip: Deluxe room comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Katypoos
Reviewed 18 August 2015

Shandrani is worth the money with the All Inclusive Package. Nice hotel and the staff was welcoming and very friendly. Food was yummy and a large variety to choose. Only negative thing is that at night I could hear an airplane as the hotel is near the airport but that didn't prevent me from enjoying my stay.

2  Thank Helena N
Reviewed 18 August 2015

A friendly and well designed hotel resort. We booked two deluxe rooms 'interconnecting, with sea view closer to the main hotel rather than Bar Sirius. A choice of three different beaches to choose from. The wild beach is amazing, the water sports on offer are well run and the equipment good. The water skiing/wake boarding was a real bonus for our children.

The hotel staff were all extremely happy, helpful and courteous and happy to assist in any matter.

We loved the choice of restaurants but our favourites were the Teak Elephant and Bar Sirius.

After a 12 hour direct flight with Air Mauritius we were grateful for the short transfer to the resort - just 10 minutes.

We travelled in August and whilst we had several days of cloud and rain this did not detract from the holiday. The temperature was always pleasant. We hired a car and travelled around the island over a three day period visiting the coloured earth, Port Louis and several volcanoes. We also booked a private boat excursion which was fantastic 10-4pm booked with Peter Pan boats (Fred) from Shandrani beach.

We will definitely return!
Nick and Lou etal

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms along the stretch of beach towards Bar Sirius are the nicest.
2  Thank louise s
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

We originally booked at club med for 7 days due to being told how great the kids club and activities was and the all inclusive being so highly recommended, what a load of hogwash read my previous review to see....... We therefore decided to stay an extra 3 days because we didn't want to end our holiday on a bad note and booked in at shandrani wow you can't even compare the two resorts shandrani is really nice and friendly so many activities the snorkeling in blue bay is amazing, a cool chip and put course. The all in package is great service is wonderful and welcoming and friendly. The rooms are nice and spacious with individual setting aircons!

We have been to Mauritius many times and this is one resort I will definitely return to again and again don't waste your money at club med, it's just not worth it!

Well done Shandrani for an awesome resort and look forward to staying here again soon!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Cosmopolitan584130
Reviewed 14 August 2015

Shandrani is an absolute gem. Being situated on the peninsula you can enjoy great views. The beach is also very good. Try the glass bottom boat as it will take you to the marine park which will delight you with sight of exotic fish and marine life. The food in all restaurants were excellent and all the staff at the resort are very friendly and customer focused.

The All inclusive package is also totally worth it. My only criticism is that the rooms are not too luxurious but just ok.

Overall, an excellent and distinctive hotel suitable for either couples, solo or family.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms
3  Thank Tushan B