All reviews austral suite boutique hotel colonial style our honeymoon half board beachfront room small hotel outdoor shower free boat shuttle hobie cat great boutique mauritian buffet degrees south private jacuzzi tea and cake free standing bath boutique nature
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We just had a great time here. Staff is very friendly, hotel is very clean and romantic. Price/Value absolutely fine.

You are looking for a quiet and great time, with very good food? You will love this place.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karo8032
Xavier G, Director of Sales at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Dear Karo832,

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel following your stay.

We are very pleased that we have met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would be more than happy to welcoming you for your next vacation on our beautiful island.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2017

We spent 8 nights in this beautiful hotel and really didn't want to leave. The staff were amazing and they were genuinely happy to help. Our room was overlooking their own small beach with views across the bay. The restaurant had three different eating areas, either with sea views or next to one of the two pools and the food was incredible. There was a complimentary boat trip across the sea to Grand Baie and also complimentary snorkeling tripsand kayaking from the hotel. Although there was sometimes an easterly wind blowing on the beach it was often very welcome but the pools were sheltered if it became too strong. Such a peaceful place to stay...forever!

Room Tip: Have a sea view room if possible
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anita2202

Dear anita2202,

It was a pleasure having you with us and we are delighted that you have chosen to allocate some of your precious time to share your views on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely happy to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and the service provided by our team members.

We look forward to seeing you again in your future travels in Mauritius.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

We stayed for 4 nights as part of our 2 week stay in Mauritius. As others have said it is a small boutique hotel, beautifully kept with lots of character and plenty of friendly staff on hand. Our room was 37, a standard room, with a veranda and views through the garden and small beach towards the sea. The room fit the bed and wardrobe with space to pass, so not loads of space but we thought it was perfectly adequate and the bathroom was large with a bath, 2 basins and a separate room with toilet and small shower cubicle. We were half board and the food was outstanding, as mentioned previously some items have an additional charge but for 4 nights there was plenty of choice and also a daily special menu. At breakfast there's cereals, bread, cold fish, cheese, yogurts, fruit etc plus you can get eggs and freshly cooked pancakes with different toppings - the banana in caramel a favourite of mine. We took the small ferry over to Grand Baie and back one day, relaxed on the small beach and then spent 2 days exploring Pamplemousse and other areas. My husband borrowed one of the many books to read and we enjoyed playing pool and board games in the lovely lounge areas and drinking cocktails after dinner. Due to windy weather we weren't able to take the snorkeling trip which was a shame, other areas we stayed in were better for snorkeling close to the shore.

Stayed: May 2017

Dear 38Wendy,

We do thank you for the time you kindly allocated in sharing your experience within our property and are very happy to know that you have had a wonderful stay in our beautiful hotel.

We also welcome the fact that you have shown deep appreciation for the great hospitality and service provided by our team.

We look forward to the soonest opportunity of welcoming you back for another wonderful recalls and for a snorkeling excursion!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 September 2017

If I had the choice I would always stay on the East Coast of Mauritius. However, as my exploration of the island continues while I build my portfolio as a special correspondent devoted to this destination I have been able to experience a range of properties from resorts to self-catering apartments and local-style guesthouses.
Because of my prior exposure to the Relais and Chateaux brand mainly in the Western Cape, South Africa, I looked forward to my visit to 20 Degrees Sud near the vibey hub of Grand Baie in the North.
I had a well-appointed cosy suite near the beach, beautifully decorated in the French style. Getting into it was a challenge initially - the key didn't work, and had to be switched, and the door leading to the outdoor shower was very sticky. You really had to put your weight into it to get it open. A word of warning to anyone wanting to experience that in your birthday suit - there is a first floor window that looks onto what you might have thought was your private space...
Breakfast for me must be accompanied by a great cappuccino or two - the waiters brought me an Americano every time, two days in a row. I'm not sure that you can blame a language barrier on that? The waiters also weren't always around when I needed them - I had to go looking for them to request something more than once.
I thought I'd give the bar a try one evening - it's located in a lovely setting near the pool. There were no other guests there so I thought I'd strike up a conversation with the bartender and see if he could persuade me that he could make a really creamy pina colada. He wasn't in the mood... really just wanting me to make a decision and move on. I thought that very strange - the Relais and Chateux standard is really very high.
The highlight for me was having good enough weather to get onto the water on a Hobie15. I had a wonderful sail, accompanied by the local skipper. The beach is stunning - intimate, yet open to exploration if you want to walk beyond the resort bounds in either direction.
Also very pleasing to see was the good condition the local dogs were in. I spotted them coming on to the beach from time to time - they looked healthy and well fed.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank debbiehathway

Dear debbiehathway,

Thank you for your review pertaining your stay in our hotel.

It has been a pleasure for us to welcoming you and we are glad that you had the opportunity to discover the north coast in our hotel.

We regret that you were disappointed with the effectiveness of our staff and encountered some inconveniences in room. Please rest assured that we will look into the matter closely and implement the appropriate remedial actions for improvements.

We thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you among us for your next adventure.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We stayed at 20 Degrees Sud for 8 nights on a half board basis in September 2017 and the overall experience was excellent.
From the moment you arrive the staff are helpful, polite and attentative without ever seeming pushy. We received a welcome cocktail and a full tour of the hotel and its amenities before being left to settle in. Valrie in reception arranged a day trip for us to isle aux Cerfs which was great fun and much better value than some of the bigger agencies - I'd always ask what they can sort before booking with anyone else.
The high level of service continued throughout our stay and even when the restaurant was very busy and they seemed a bit short staffed on our final night, the waiters remained cool, calm and polite.

The food in the hotel's restaurant is excellent - I do not eat a lot of fish at home in the UK, but the quality and freshness of the fish on the menu at 20 Degrees Sud was so good I ended up trying several dishes I wouldn't have normally ordered - all were excellent. The flavours and high standard of presentation of all dishes ensure all are memorable, but highlights included the half cooked black crusted tuna and the Mauritian chicken curry - both are a must try if you are staying there. Other reviewers have mentioned the supplements on some dishes making the menu expensive, however i thought these were very fair considering the quality of the food. My wife ate their suggested menu nearly every day (no supplements) and was never disappointed, so you can avoid extra cost and still eat excellent food. They have a buffet on a Sunday night with a wide range of local dishes to try - everything I ate was excellent and I made several trips for extra helpings.
The restaurant has live music most evenings and this was always of a high standard - never intrusive, just the right volume.

Drinks at the hotel are of a high quality and their cocktails are excellent - this is where costs can creap up though (although the prices are in line with other hotels in the area) so keep this in mind as you work your way through the wine/cocktail list!

The location of the hotel is excellent - very private and far enough away from Grand Baie to be very peaceful. There is a free ferry across to the main town throughout the day, so you don't feel isolated. That said the last trip back is at 4.45pm after which you'll need to get a taxi, but this was easy to find and very reasonable.
The hotel offers various free watersports equipment, (kyaks, paddle boards, sailing dinghy etc.) which is a nice bonus - they will also take you out to the reef to snorkel for an hour, which is also free. Well worth doing! The facilities are generally very good with a small, well equipped gym, a library and pool table all at your disposal. The swimming pool is beautiful and big enough to swim lengths, but we spent most of our time on the beach or in the sea. The beach isn't massive, but given the limited number of rooms, never felt overcrowded and was a tranquil place to while away the days.
Our room (the cheapest Charm room) was small but well appointed with a free standing bath, seperate shower and double sinks. We also had a sun terrace with table and chairs, plust a small additional room with a single bed. We used this area as a dressing room which worked really well. The room was the only area where I could fault my experience and these were minor niggles - the door to the terrace was difficult to lock, which meant the aircon could switch on and off, but we got the hang of it. Additionally the toilet took a lifetime to refill and was a bit noisey (a pain at night) but like I say these were minor niggles in an otherwise very comfortable and good value package.
To summarise, 20 Degrees Sud is a gem of a hotel - small but perfectly formed and somewhere we definitely hope to retun to! If you are looking to unwind and relax in a beautiful setting I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bwrb30

Dear bwrb30,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful and positive recommendations.

We are glad to learn that you experienced an enjoyable vacation and that all our services appealed to you. Please rest assured that your compliments regarding our cuisine will be shared.

Awaiting the pleasure to welcoming you back among us.