“Worlds best pizza!”

The Purple Pub
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Watervliet
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 30 December 2015

Always visit here. This local pub has the best pizza, clams, wings, etc. has full menu for lunch/dinner also. Never had a bad meal. Family friendly. Be prepared to wait after 6-7pm. Well worth it!

Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

Most any night of the week you may have to wait for a table. This family owned and operated establishment has great food and a wide selection of offerings. Italian food is fresh and tasty. The atmosphere is friendly and the staff is efficient. We have been here many times and the other night we had steamed clams for an appetizer which were very clean and lasagna that is likely better than Moms.....but don't tell her.

1  Thank HungryHippo7525
Reviewed 26 November 2015

This was our first take out as we usually dine in...but with it being the night before thanksgiving figured it would be busy. The pizza is delicious and the menu quite varied. We have been fans of The Purple Pub for years and always look forward to our meals here.

1  Thank 88ontheroad
Reviewed 20 November 2015

The Purple Pub has been around for over 40 years. In the early years there would be a line of people waiting outside to get in. Eventually, the dining room was expanded and the lines pretty much disappeared. But that didn’t mean the customers stopped coming, they simply got seated and served more quickly. Sure, the interior became worn and needed some updating after all those years, but the pub still has that warm neighborhood feeling. It also still has some touches of purple.

A group of us gathered there on a Thursday to sample the wings, pizza, beer, and anything else that jumped out at us from the menu. The Pub has always been noted for its pizza, and more recently for its choice of “under the broiler” wings. I have to admit, I was among those who went there for the pizza in the early years, and I think it’s changed over the years; maybe different chefs, maybe different ovens. But my tastes and preferences have also changed over forty years.

The bottom line is that I enjoyed the pizza in the ‘70s (thick crust then?) and I like it now (we didn’t opt for the thick crust). I mostly now like the crispiness of the bottom crust. While the “sprinkled” mozzarella is nice and gooey, it probably doesn’t need to have that much on top. The meatball topping was very good, but I would have liked more fennel flavor in the sausage. The eggplant topping on one of the pizzas neither looked like eggplant nor provided me with an eggplant flavor.

I’m not a wing aficionado. With that said, I liked the size of the drumsticks and the bit of crispy char that the broiler gave them. The meat was tender and moist. The level of spiciness of their “hot” version was just right for my tolerance. The Garlic Parmesan wings were equally enjoyable.

Another must-have when our group finds it on the menu is Mozzarella Sticks with a Melba sauce. These seemed like a typical food-supplier variety, with uniform size, shape and breading, but the melba sauce was good – not too sweet and just the right amount of viscosity.

A surprise menu addition was Pierogi. Made by the church up the street, according to our server (she pointed in the general direction of St Basil Russian Orthodox Church). They had a potato filling in a not to thick or thin dough, were pan fried in real butter with slivers of onion that had shriveled, turned golden brown and crispy, and were a real favorite of those seated at my end of the table.

Nine of us polished off all but ½ slice of pizza along with pitchers of Davidson Brothers Brown Ale and Shmaltz Hop Manna IPA. Our server was well seasoned and able to deal with our large group. She and other staff were there to clear empty serving trays and dishes as needed, and to recognize when our pitchers needed refilling. Overall, the Purple Pub is likely to be a continued favorite tavern of both the neighborhood and the generations that may have grown up and left the neighborhood. If you’re in the neighborhood you should stop in and try it.

1  Thank Roger K
Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

Good food reasonable prices. The basics pizza, pasta, fries burgers meatloaf good nit great. Stear clean of seafood not as good as the basics.

Been to The Purple Pub? Share your experiences!