“A Perfect Day”

Constitution Island
Reviewed 23 July 2015

My husband & I traveled to the Island with Ronnie Clark Coffey and a Colonel from West Point. We could not have been with two better people to give us the history of the Island from two perspectives - one military from the time of the Revolution and the other of the Warner family and their connection to West Point. There are two more trips like ours - one in August and one in September. Do look into joining one of them for a most enjoyable day.

3  Thank Clancy159

Reviewed 30 June 2015

Crazy story,to keep the British from traveling up the Hudson River a chain is anchored at West Point Military School,barged across the river and the other end anchored on Constitution Island. After the war a widower and his two girls the land build a house and live out most of their lives. The girls are religious and start teaching Sunday school at the point,eventually at their home. The cadets loved it,they got away from the school and here they were aloud to take off parts of their uniform.the house and island is much like it was when the last sister died. They made a living righting children's books,hymns and games.Susan and Anna Warner became famous. Susan wrote Jesus loves me,a children's church song still used today. You need to wear sensible shoes and be aware if you have small children there are honey bee hives on the property. For the men there are the remain of re doubts and fort footings. Several times a year the soldiers re-enact a battle. West Point is where you board the boat to the island so you will need identity paper since 2011. Cadets go for free. Twice a year there is a bus from Cold Spring RR Depot on the east side of the river. This is the way I went. To find out those limited trips call the number on constitutionisland.org

3  Thank Instead74
Reviewed 14 October 2014

If you know the historu of the Island or even if you dont ---- you'll appreciate nabd be in awe ofthe effort and role it plaed in our Nations birth. I keep a print of Trophy Point overlooking the island in my office and look at it every day ---- a natural beauty of physical space that gives you pause as you look. Magical!

1  Thank M H
Reviewed 29 September 2014

A very small place with great military history. We took a boat but I saw cars so if it is accessible by auto I would do that because our wait for the boat was long(1.5hrs). Beautiful views from redoubt 7.

4  Thank mrb415