“Lakeside eatery with exceptional views”
Review of The Galley

The Galley
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Westport
Reviewed 18 October 2016

First a disclaimer . I live across the street from The Gallley. You can visit this establishment by boat or car. Do not expect fine dining. Expect a casual friendly affordable spot to get a good meal or enjoy a drink or two. The menus is to the point, limited items but good for both carnivores or vegetarians. Sit outside if there is room. The views are spectacular. The deck is perched on the lakeshore. By the way the galley is in a marina. Our most recent visit was for lunch. My wife had a chicken wrap that she enjoyed. I had a burger that was excellent it came out as ordered. Not your basic burger. The lettuce and tomato seemed to come strait from a garden. Our meals came with sweet potato fries that thankfully were crisp. My wife had a sofa I had a regional craft IPA draft. Our waitress was attentive and polite. We were not expecting fine dining. We were hoping for relaxing and The Gallery served that up beautifully.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

Ordered a hamburger, and asked for it to be medium well. It came out almost raw. The service was lacking. We had to go up to the counter to ask for more water and the server never came back to ask if anyone wanted more drinks. The soda was extremely watered down and had absolutely no carbonation. I wont be going back to the place anytime soon.

1  Thank Ranger53
Reviewed 22 August 2016

When we arrived there were two menus sitting on host station that we browsed. One was the nights special being grilled outside. With no price printed on the menu before being seated I asked hostess what the price was for the two items on this special menu, a salmon and a rib eye. She told me $25. We sat and ordered one of each of the specials , which included a salad. After waiting 30 minutes we still had no salads so I asked the server who told me chef "times out" the dinners and hasn't given them to her yet. I don't know about you but we go out to eat because we're hungry, at least some bread or rolls would of pacified and in any situation 30 minutes is too long to wait for salads. The husbands ribeye was great he said and my salmon was fine...but cold, both our vegetables were cold. when the check came I noticed the ribeye was 28 and the salmon 26... So I ask the server, telling her the hostess , who was still buzzing around the restaurant, had told me it was $25 for the specials. The waitress laughed and said oh her, she's just a hostess, she doesn't know. Of course there was no offer to adjust it, but where I come from the advertised price is generally honored. And train your staff to know the prices or I don't know, maybe print them on the menu. It was just the final touch to a pretty disappointing experience.

3  Thank Kkce
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Do not eat here. My wife and I were seated at a table on the deck and then watched as others were seated well after us and got service, drinks, and food before our initial service. It turns out that our waitress had a very large party at the other end of he deck. So I blame management for the hostess training to distribute tables logically to servers and areas. The table next to us had a great server, Jasmine--more on her later. We ordered Buffalo wings and an avocado chicken wrap--a very simple meal. Wings were a disappointment. Heavy tasteless oil poured on top of undercooked (frozen Banquet style) wings. They were cold and still frozen at the bone. Sent them back and kept the carrots and celery with the blue cheese dressing so we would have "something" to eat. The California wrap came out barely warm and the sweet potato fries were cold. The re-ordered wings came back with no blue cheese or carrots and celery. We immediately asked the server for sauce to dip and never got any. When the waitress finally came back after 15-minutes we asked to speak with a manager. Another 10-minutes goes by and we get up to go inside to pay and leave. A young man walks up to me and my wife and just stands there looking at us. I ask him if he is the manager. He says yes. I ask him what his name is and he says Zach. I tell him he should engage with us by saying something like, "Hi folks, my name is Zach and I am the manager. I understand that there was a problem with your meal today. What can I do to make this right for you today?" My wife tries to explain the experience we had and he repeatedly cuts her off so I tell him that he is likely the problem and our lunch experience is a reflection on his management skills. He says to us "your meal is compted and you are being a Dick" and tells us to leave and repeatedly yells "BYE", "LEAVE" over his shoulder as he walks away. As we are leaving, the good server runs into the parking lot to apologize for her manager's behavior. Jasmine was the one bright spot on this broken, poor-excuse, for a restaurant. It gets worse. The owner Dee, posts a comment on my review and basically blames me for "being so loud" in the [empty] dinning room that I was asked to leave. All diners were on the deck outside, not at the bar where I was just trying to pay for my meal and let the manager know that he may have a problem. I didn't know he and the owners were the problem. Ask yourself, Why would the good server follow us out and apologize? Yea, I have many years in restaurant and service industry and I have NEVER had a worse experience. Don't bother with this place.

4  Thank Rickrefs
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Sat outside and enjoyed the sites and sounds on Lake Champlain. Food was great! However, it was a bit pricey. We ordered pasta specials and shame on us for not asking the prices. But it was delicious. Steamed clams were a bit of a disappointment though. They were tiny, tiny claims and no drawn butter. It came in a broth. We rented a home down the street from the Galley for the week and enjoyed hearing their live music on various nights. We would go again if ever in the area.

1  Thank Linda53468