“Not bad but not good. You get what you pay for”

Central Motel Courtyard
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in White Plains
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I was skeptical after seeing the negative reviews so I was preparing to cancel my reservation. However I decided not to once I got to my room. The room is standard sized and the bathroom is small but has a nice shower. It's not the best hotel out there but it isn't the worst. There is a little bit of street noise that comes in but it's not awful. I'd probably stay here again because all of the other hotels in the area are very expensive.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2017

There aren't many inexpensive options if you want to stay in the White Plains area; this is one.

The parking is onsite, very convenient. At reception you are buzzed in to a tiny cubicle where you check in through bullet-proof glass, a bit disconcerting, that.

My room was upstairs and very clean, all the way to the corners of the closet. Lovely Manhattan style bathroom tile and old-fashioned (but new) taps on the sink. Comfortable enough bed, flat screen TV. No phone in the room. Mini fridge with bottled water provided and replenished. Mini coffee maker.

Quiet room with the white noise of the AC running. Hideous red fake satin and black lace curtains. Heard some commotion, banging and yelling, about 5 in the morning. I just made sure my deadbolt was on and turned over.

I chose this in part because they listed coffee as one of the amenities. I like to wake up and have my coffee before I go out. I could deal with no breakfast offered as long as coffee was available. I spotted the mini-coffee maker when I checked in and thought no more about it.

Until the next morning, when, upon closer examination, I found two tea bags and two packets of Sanka. Sanka, as in decaf. Sanka is not coffee, it is decaffeinated coffee. Thinking there was an oversight, I went to "reception" and buzzed. No answer. Buzzed again. After about five minutes someone appeared and let me in. I explained the coffee was absent from my room. She told me it's next to the coffee maker. I told her that the only things there were tea and decaf. She shrugged. "Well, that's what we have."

I was furious. You don't want to deny me promised coffee in the morning. That afternoon I ran across a maid, and asked her if she had coffee. She also thought that the Sanka was "coffee."

This is such a simple amenity, and it was promised in their advertising. The absence of coffee makes a huge difference in my morning, and I'm not alone. Americans, in general, expect coffee.

I was going to try to get a partial refund, even twenty bucks or something, but I was dealing with a family emergency and didn't have time for the argument.

In short, this is an economical and clean choice, but next time I'll upgrade to better lodging.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2017

There is not heat in any of the rooms. Apparently they have a shared heat system and with the rooms all sold out due to a winter storm there is no heat. The night manager was rude and argumentative and refused to refund any of our money. There was no other place for us to go due to the snow storm.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

We found this motel comfortable. It was clean and ok. The staff were friendly and they help us to go about.
We used this motel as a way of getting into new york as the train station is only a short taxi ride away
The one thing we could have done with is comfortable chairs to sit on.
But over all a good stop on our trip

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

Went back to New York last December and stayed at the Central Motel Courtyard again. This motel is located at the heart of central avenue, very near to all the shopping arcades and Restaurants. The rooms are very comfortable and tastefully decorated. Free Wi Fi is available on the premises. Rooms have tea / coffee, fridge, microwave etc. Perfect for a quick snack before heading out for a busy day. Washrooms are also equipped with basic toiletries and even a hair dryer. I always stay at this motel when in New York as it is affordable, comfortable and conveniently located.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
4.5 km away
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown
1.7 km away
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Central Motel Courtyard? Share your experiences!