“Already planning to go back!”

The Hungry Trout Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 29 June 2017

This resort has it all. Great food, fishing waters, and rooms. Au Sable river right in back of resort. Restaurant has stunning view of river and wonderful chef. Fly shop right on premises with great guides.Many fishing options.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy D

Reviewed 25 June 2017

My nephew and I have been staying close to the West Branch of the Ausable for 5 years now. This was our first time actually staying on the Hungry Trout property. To put it simply, we couldn't ask for a better experience. Every single staff member from the cleaning staff to Jerry himself made us feel like family. We spent time at their outstanding restaurant and bar, plenty of time in the fly shop, and fished the famous West Branch each morning and evening. Nate and I actually consider Evan and his wife friends after this visit. We will return next year to the same exact place. We HIGHLY Recommend The Hungry Trout Resort! We are already planning next year's visit!

Room Tip: Fly fish right behind the motel!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed 20 June 2017

I am a Fly Fisherman and I have been making an annual June trip to The Hungry Trout Resort for 10 years. Last week was my 14th stay. My fishing friends and I come here year after year because it is a great place and location at the center of one of the top fly fishing rivers in North America. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We appreciate the fishing motif that you would expect at a place called Hungry Trout. Both the restaurant and pub have excellent food. I have stayed and dined at other times of the year and never been disappointed. We also made good use of the Fly Shop where knowledgeable staff and fishing guides provided detailed and useful advice, and the shop is well stocked with what we needed at competitive prices.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2017

I stumbled across The Hungry Trout while trying to find a place to stay to hike the High Peaks on Memorial Day weekend. Our big criteria was to stay away from the tourist trap that Lake Placid has become. I love to trout fish too but this was a family weekend with our adult kids and everyone wanted to hike the High Peaks. We were all so happy that we found this motel.

We arrived early on Friday but they welcomed us and ushered us into our room within minutes. We were surprised by the decor, the furnishings, and the shower. The room was well-appointed, the beds felt like Marriott beds, the hosts were a pleasure, and that shower. We loved the shower. When 4 adults hike 11 hours in the High Peaks having a great shower is almost as important as a great bed. The shower handled all of us easily and we never ran out of hot water. Oh, and most important, the accommodations met my wife's "clean test" which is a very high bar.

The location along the Ausable River is worth the price of the room and there is a great veranda overlooking the stream where we found ourselves drinking hot coffee every morning and enjoying the rushing water as it carved through the rocks on its journey south. Yes, if you have not relaxed in an Adirondack chair in the Adirondacks on the banks of the Ausable you have not lived.

There is a well-known restaurant and a highly rated bar with pub food on the premises overlooking the Ausable. We never managed to get there though we did try the pub on our early arrival. The pub sign says open at 4:00 pm so we walked in at 4:00 pm only to be told by a rather sour woman that it was drinks only until 5:00 pm. We hadn't eaten all day and couldn't wait and as luck would have it we never made it back during our visit.

There is a great fly shop on premises with more advice than one can use in a weekend. I asked several questions about some of the lake fishing and the gentleman gave me detailed information that I will use on a return trip. There is also a nice relaxing 1.25 mile trail across the Ausable that takes you around the beaver pond and along the banks of the river that you don't want to miss. You can walk to the trail from your front door and it actually connects to Whiteface if you are up for a big climb.

We loved the location away from Lake Placid on the banks of the Ausable and in the midst of the High Peaks. I really can't find a single negative issue with this property or its management. We will be back many times to hike, fish. and ski and this will be our "go-to" headquarters for future Adirondack excursions. If you miss this place it is your loss.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Hungry Trout Resort is like home now. I've been staying here every year for a decade. This is because it meets my needs in very exacting ways; the wonderful staff, clean, comfortable rooms, excellent food (both dinning room and pub), and the well equipped fly shop with knowledgeable experts. I usually stay in the Spring and head to Wilmington for Trout Fishing, but I have stayed in the winter. Every visit has been excellent ...like any business, it's all about the people and friendly Adirondack Welcome.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
14.5 km away
7.6 km away
ADK Trail Inn
ADK Trail Inn
#1 of 1 in Upper Jay

Been to The Hungry Trout Resort? Share your experiences!