“AS GOOD AS ITS REPUTATION”

The Hungry Trout Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This review is of the restaurant, not the hotel. We had read reviews of the Hungry Trout and were staying in the area, so we decided to try it. We almost did not get to try it. When we arrived, we waited over 15 minutes before anyone even acknowledged that we were there. And then the hostess just said that she would "be with us very soon". So we waited another 10 minutes until she was apparently ready to deal with us. In the meantime she disappeared a lot and still found time to make a few drinks at the bar. With a restaurant of this reputation, I would think that they would have a dedicated bartender and not have the hostess doing double duty. Because she does neither very well. Anyway, eventually we got seated and our server, Colleen, introduced herself to us. She was fantastic, as was the food we ordered. It was cooked to perfection (my wife had the brook trout almandine and I had the salmon and scallops). The food was wonderful and the service just as good. And happily so, because our treatment at the beginning could easily have ruined a nice evening. If you are staying in the Lake Placid area, you will want to try this restaurant...but be patient, because the hostess takes more than a little time to organize herself. This review is of the restaurant and not of the hotel.

Room Tip: This review is of the restaurant and not the hotel. Good dishes to try are the Trout Almandine and...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GoodDad, Owner at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Truly loath hearing a service complaint! No excuses other than, on predicted quiet nights, the bartender can easily accommodate the dual role of greeting and seating guests as well as mixing drinks for the bar and dining room. On rare occasion, however, our dining room can be slammed with unexpected walk-ins who did not call ahead. This does not, of course, excuse the bartender/hostess from not acknowledging a party at the door or communicating better an unexpected delay in the dining room. The staff has seen this comment and we'll collectively try to see it does not happen again.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

I always stay here when in the area. Clean, wonderful location, and friendly staff. I would strongly recommend the restaurant and grill on sight too. And the fly shop and staff there are always "in the know." I will certainly stay with them again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

The Hungry Trout is a great fishing resort. It is in a beautiful location with views of Whiteface Mountain and the AuSable River.
I came to fish. The room was clean and nicely furnished although a bit small. The bathroom is shower only - great for me but if you want a bath, check first.
I never saw an employee of the hotel. There was a Board with my name on it, a room number and a note that the key was in the room. That worked just fine.
Caution, though. I could not find a breakfast restaurant and I drove about 5 miles in each direction. Fortunately I had a protuberance bar.
There is a deli that was open and it may have had breakfast sandwiches but they are not my thing.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Second visit in 2 months at the resort. First time by myself in August which was great. I was guided by Bill O'brien and we went to their private stretch of waters known as the Bush country...well worth the $75 rod fee... great fishing, great guiding, great dining at the on site pub. Everything perfect.
Decided to take my 22 and 26 years old sons for an initiation to trout fly fishing on the Ausable river....needless to say that they are now hooked. Thanks Jerry, Evan and mostly to Bill our guide who made this into a wonderful weekend.
We will be back!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
HungryTroutStaff, Front Office Manager at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thank you for the kind words Luc, it was a pleasure having you here and we are very pleased that we got to share this great experience with you!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

The perfect location for an Adirondack wedding! The river photos of the ceremony were awesome. Followed by champagne. The staff could not do enough for all the guests. The reception ran without a hitch. The main courses of trout and prime rib were prepared as always perfectly. Our rooms were just a short walk across the parking lot. The next day there were so many hiking trails to choose from as well as a trip to the mountain top Castle. If you come to Lake Placid or to Whiteface ...The Hungry Trout Resort is a MUST!!!

Room Tip: King size bed was heaven
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
14.5 km away
7.6 km away
ADK Trail Inn
ADK Trail Inn
#1 of 1 in Upper Jay

Been to The Hungry Trout Resort? Share your experiences!