All reviews the pub fly shop trout fly fishing ausable river west branch room was clean duck whiteface mountain motor inn great fishing great bed never ran out of hot water walk in shower different ways fabulous food wonderful restaurant
Reviewed 24 October 2017

This was my first stay at the Hungry Trout Resort. It was truly a great experience. I had two glorious days of bird hunting. Both of my guides were as professional and personable as I have ever experienced. My son also had a great day fishing. In addition, the room was clean and comfortable. Furthermore, the meals at the Hungry Trout Restaurant were among the finest I have ever had. I only hope I can come back next year.

Room Tip: Beautiful Views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Rented the apartment unit for our group. We were able to make breakfasts and lunches so we saved a ton of restaurants. It’s dated but clean, comfortable and very functional. It has everything you need. Staff was very attentive to our needs when we had questions. They brought extra towels without us asking. We enjoyed using the pool. The views are just wonderful. In the morning we were able to go sit on the lawn chairs by the river and have our coffee. It was very pleasant. I would return again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

The Hungry Trout is my new favorite motel for the Adirondack mountains. I stayed with my 2 kids and mom(grandma). The room was big and clean, we were all comfortable. The fridge was great for us to put food in as well as beverages. The bathroom was large and clean as well. Kids loved it and grandma was happy. We also ate at the restaurant. It was truly incredible and my kids enjoyed their dinners and wanted to come back the next night to try another dish and the opportunity to sit by the window and look at the view. The view was breath taking. Our dinners were delicious. We had the Trout, Trout special with Scallops, Venison, Filet mignon, and Duck. All of our meals were incredible. The desserts were very tasty, cheesecake and chocolate cake. Ohh but the Duck and Trout, we can't stop raving about!! The view was simply breathtaking, the mountain and river in fall foliage was just a perfect back drop. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. No complaints and best accommodations yet. We frequent the Adirondack mountains every year and we will definitely stay here again. Thank you for making our family vacation so perfect!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

a family member and i stayed for three nights while we were fishing the Ausable. Clean room. Comfortable bed. quiet. friendly folks. on site fly shop and two restaurants, but be aware there is no breakfast available on site. the mobil gas station just to the east of the center of town has a deli that makes good breakfast sandwiches but other local options (at least in october) are less dependable.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
GoodDad, Owner at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you for your kind compliments. Please know that, within minutes of our property, there are at least two wonderful options for breakfast each morning starting at 6:30. In the very quieter months, one tries to be open while the other closes one day weekly. If ever they are both closed, and that would be very rare, a local deli has very nice breakfast sandwiches. Additionally, each of our guest rooms has refrigerators.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

This review is of the restaurant, not the hotel. We had read reviews of the Hungry Trout and were staying in the area, so we decided to try it. We almost did not get to try it. When we arrived, we waited over 15 minutes before anyone even acknowledged that we were there. And then the hostess just said that she would "be with us very soon". So we waited another 10 minutes until she was apparently ready to deal with us. In the meantime she disappeared a lot and still found time to make a few drinks at the bar. With a restaurant of this reputation, I would think that they would have a dedicated bartender and not have the hostess doing double duty. Because she does neither very well. Anyway, eventually we got seated and our server, Colleen, introduced herself to us. She was fantastic, as was the food we ordered. It was cooked to perfection (my wife had the brook trout almandine and I had the salmon and scallops). The food was wonderful and the service just as good. And happily so, because our treatment at the beginning could easily have ruined a nice evening. If you are staying in the Lake Placid area, you will want to try this restaurant...but be patient, because the hostess takes more than a little time to organize herself. This review is of the restaurant and not of the hotel.

Room Tip: This review is of the restaurant and not the hotel. Good dishes to try are the Trout Almandine and the Salmon with Scallops.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GoodDad, Owner at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Truly loath hearing a service complaint! No excuses other than, on predicted quiet nights, the bartender can easily accommodate the dual role of greeting and seating guests as well as mixing drinks for the bar and dining room. On rare occasion, however, our dining room can be slammed with unexpected walk-ins who did not call ahead. This does not, of course, excuse the bartender/hostess from not acknowledging a party at the door or communicating better an unexpected delay in the dining room. The staff has seen this comment and we'll collectively try to see it does not happen again.