“Best time”
Review of Discovery Diving

Discovery Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovery Diving, your headquarters for North Carolina's world class, warm water, wreck diving. Located in Beaufort, North Carolina, an historic seaside town on the Crystal Coast, we are in close proximity to the shipwrecks of the acclaimed Graveyard of the Atlantic. In addition to our dive charters, Discovery is a full service dive operation offering training, gear sales and rentals, and equipment repair.
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

During my stay on Samui I decided to do the PADI open water diver course. Reading the good reviews I knew Discovery would be a good place to make a longterm dream come true, and I wasn't disappointed. My instructor Somkid was professional, helpful and a great friend to have my first underwater adventures with. I takes a while to get to the dive sites, but along the way we were well taken care of and it was great to feel the good vibe the staff carried along. Shout out to Somkid, Richie and Laura!

All reviews
"vis"
"rebreather"
"school"

Reviewed 17 January 2018

My husband and I went here for our PADI refresher course. Lee was great as our instructor and the entire staff is so friendly!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I just cannot say enough wonderful things about this place! A friend and I decided to take the open water dive certification class and we did it over 2 consecutive weekends. There were long days and lots of information, but I definitely recommend this company for diving certification! All the instructors were awesome! So knowledgeable and patient. I totally trust them with my life and will definitely will return for additional certifications!!! Thank you Debby, Rob, Gary, Payton, Neil, Jay, Kevin, John, Lee and everyone there that I missed!!

Debby B, Guest Relations Manager at Discovery Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thank you so very much! Please come back if you want to further you dive instruction! We enjoyed it as well!

Reviewed 5 July 2017

We dove on the small boat (Captian's Lady) with Leroy and the larger Outrageous V. Both have pros and cons, but we liked the smaller more personal boat. The staff all around were great. The rental equipment was in good shape, and the prices are fair. Just beware that the trip out and back from dive site can be 2-3 hours and rough.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 June 2017

I've used nice dive places that take assist with your gear from the moment you arrive and set everything up and provide sliced fruit and drinks before and after every dive. I've also used a "dive operation" with a small skiff and a few tanks. Discovery Dive is of course a long way from the latter but not so close to the former as you might want. In reality I can deal with any operation that is safety conscious, customer focused, organized, and friendly. Discovery is a perfectly passable operation, the people are pretty nice (southern hospitality is in evidence) and they have a pretty complete shop. My major issue with them is that they jam 18 people on a boat that should really be maxed out at 12. You can't help but trip and step over folks with all the gear on board. This is especially so since they cater to tech/wreck/and rebreather diving. The whole experience would have been much more comfortable and pleasant if the boat were not so crowded. As for amenities, other than a shower spigot, and a water bottle with some paper cups, that is about it. Solid boat though, no mechanical issues although a bit worn around the edges.

We dived on the "Outrageous" and I know they have another boat but I have no experience with it. I think they have a little 6-pack as well.

There was also a little carelessness on dive procedures on one dive. They could not affix the dive line correctly and the instructions were unclear, the current came up, and the whole thing turned into a cluster. Dive cancelled. They then did sneak in a later shallow dive on the way back that was very low vis, a bit of current, and not worth the effort, It had all the hallmarks of the desire to get people their "2nd" dive so as not to need to refund it.

Lastly, the whole shore operation could use some touching up. It would not take much to replace some of the foot sliver creating decking boards, get some better chairs around to sit on, and fix up the cleaning station a bit. It's all a bit sloppy but I guess not that unusual...... just seems like a lack of caring.

Nevertheless we did have some good dives and all we all came back safely with a few could pix of ships and sharks. And as I mentioned the people were generally very nice, especially on the boat and in the shop (barring maybe one guy in the shop that was a bit crabby.) But all in all an OK place.

Final note, the shop runs a small hotel around the corner. Not very good, we had a leaky ceiling (which they've seemed to know about but I guess do not care to fix). The fold-out bed was unusable and there was no room cleaning service. BUT, it is very convenient as it is a one minute walk around the corner. Not sure what better options are available.

1  Thank Scuba1Steve