“Good food. Great people!”
Review of The Black Bear

The Black Bear
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This is an excellent restaurant for guests of Cheshire Village. We had takeout the 2 nights we stayed in Cheshire Village.

There were 2 things that stood out most: welcoming staff and very reasonable prices.
The 1st night, we (wife, daughter, dog, and I) were going to sit outside. The bartender pulled up the weather radar. Rain was expected. She saved us from getting drenched.

Recommendations:
House salad add chicken, with oil & vinegar dressing. The chicken is grilled perfectly and cut up in small pieces.
Bear claws (chicken strips) are lightly breaded. The sweet chili sauce is delicious.

They are very accommodating for children. They were happy to do nuggets, grilled cheese, or whatever for our almost 3 year old. Much appreciated.

The best part: just over $30 with tip both nights. For 2 adults and a child, that is unbeatable.

The restaurant does not have a website. Menus are difficult to come by. Attaching pictures of breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus.

For the restaurant, I recommend creating a website and adding a more spinach and romaine to the house salad.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Was looking for a great breakfast place, we found it! The Big Bear Breakfast was awesome. 2 buttered & grilled biscuits topped with bacon slices, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, & melted cheddar cheese. On the sides were cheesy potatoes. Oh My, it was melt in your mouth goodness!

Reviewed 25 July 2017

This restaurant was just a short walk from our mountain cabin. The inside is very clean and well appointed with the bear theme visible everywhere. They do have an outside eating area as well and dogs are welcome. I ordered pancakes, which were HUGE. They were delicious but way too much food for me. I ordered pineapple juice for $2.25 for a small glass, over half of which was ice. I've never had juice over ice before so if there is a next time for breakfast I will order juice without ice.My husband had eggs and toast. They got the egg order (over easy) just right. If we are ever in the area again I would like to try them for dinner.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We loved this place so much for dinner we returned for breakfast. We sat on the patio and enjoyed a quiet meal. Food was prepared well and to our specifications. We will be back . . Maybe for lunch!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Took a co-worker in today for a farewell luncheon, our party arrived early to beat the lunch crowd. Waited for over an hour to begin receiving our meals after ordering and watching tables all around us order, receive their food, eat and leave. Once our food began arriving it was staggered so some were left waiting while others were in the awkward position of eating or letting theirs get cold. All that being said it's a restaurant, thing's happen and we've all experienced this situation at some point during a dining experience.
But, the feedback from the waitress was toxic when we asked very politely why we were still waiting on food after an hour in. Said we had ordered so many hamburgers that their grill wasn't large enough to accommodate. And it wasn't enough that she said it harshly with no apologies and an ice cold stare. Every time she came back to the table she had a different comment to make to the individual who had asked (and was also picking up the entire check). Finally after they wouldn't take the bait to continue the conversation, she flipped around and said she didn't believe they liked her very much. OMG, no words for that comment. The waitress by the way was one of the co-owners so don't look for improvement any time soon.
Food was mediocre, many other restaurants in town with better quality who will be receiving our business in the future. Should of gone to Saki Sushi two doors down, if you want a good experience I suggest you do the same.

1  Thank Lynne062017