“Excellent service.”

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #134 of 508 Restaurants in Cary
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Description: Every day at 8 a.m., we start chopping veggies, soaking beans, and prepping our mesquite-fired grill. Not because we have to, but because we believe in delicious flavors made-to-order, from hand-rolled enchiladas to our sizzling fajitas to guacamole made right at your table. Everything pairs nicely with a grande margarita, and of course, enjoy the always endless chips and salsa.
Reviewed 11 July 2017

A generous serving of free chips and salsa began the meal. I was seated promptly (it appears that most staff are empowered to seat arrivals, as I was not seated by the hostess, who was busy, but by someone else - whether a food runner or bus person I couldn't say). There are daily specials, but I opted for beef empanadas, instead of the tacos special ( which was chosen and quickly devoured by a father with two middle-school aged sons at a nearby table). Margaritas, beer and wine are available - I opted for wine - a respectable glass (well, two) of cabernet for 7$ a glass, which I found preferable to a 5$ Mexican beer, and a decent accompaniment to the food. While the food was nothing special it arrived quickly, and was decent. The empanadas were just a tick overdone, but still tasty and flaky - not bad for a chain restaurant. Seeing how quickly the nearby table ate their tacos, I probably should have gone for that special. I arrived shortly after opening time, and by the time I left, the place was nearly half full, which I take as a sign of popularity for a mid-week lunch. The service was excellent. Just as I was ready for the second glass of wine my server was there to ask if I'd like another, and was right there also when I was ready for the check. A world above Taco Bell, but a notch below a good family-owned Mexican place. Pretty standard for a Mexican chain, but decent food with great service.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

My first impression of any Mexican restaurant are the chips and salsa. OTB's chips are warm, crispy and have just the right amount of salt. The salsa is ok, a little more heat that I prefer, but it tastes fresh and has a nice consistency. OTB offers a great margarita selection and they are quite tasty. The menu is extensive and offers some unique items. Portions are huge, so my wife and I tend to order one item and split it. As chains go, OTB offers a nice higher-end alternative to the Tex-Mex options in town. Our service was better than the food, and our waitress even asked if we wanted some chips and salsa to go. Nice touch!

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed eating on the covered patio. The chips were good and so was the salsa if you like it with a little heat (they said they did not have a milder version when my wife asked). Chicken enchiladas were excellent. And service was good.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

Best on the border I've been too, but nothing too special. The food was standard, service was great though.

1  Thank Gregory N
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Our server was friendly and prompt in-spite of being extremely busy. Food was good. Have tried several items with all good food.