Open today: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
A Dream Come True - Horseback Riding on the Veach

Please keep in mind, a major hurricane passed through the Cedar Island area about 6 weeks or so... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
977samd
Vero Beach, Florida
via mobile
Beautiful and unique experience

My girlfriend and I did the sunset ride, and it was spectacular. Getting to ride through the water... read more

Reviewed 8 September 2018
David R
Raleigh, North Carolina

All reviews sunset ride experienced riders magical experience wild horses bucket list great ride north carolina allison cattle dunes
Reviewed 9 October 2016

This is our third time riding here and we love it. Cheryl (our guide) does a good job. Our horses were great. Riding them along the beach and into water about knee deep (horse knees that is) was wonderful. Cheryl will use your camera and take great photos of you on the horses. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

I loved my day of riding at Cedar Island with Outer Banks Stables. The guides take their time making sure that each person is on the right horse, is comfortable and is given directions. Very young people, as well as those not entirely dressed for riding all did fine, one guy was barefoot! I recommend shoes and long pants, along with long sleeves - since it is along the beach and not in the shade. There was no need for bug spray! I was on an hour and a half ride, which went along the sound, crossed a stream and then along the beach. We could splash in the waves, what an exhilerating and fantastic time! it was beautiful, and we saw wild horses close up! I was on a super sweet stallion. All of the horses were great. The tour guides made sure everyone had a safe, happy and terrific ride.

1  Thank GeographicalCure_Amy
Reviewed 19 July 2016

I would have given the review an Excellent, but the owner and her helper were not pleasant people. I am going to start out with the positive. The horseback riding was GREAT! My family rode on the beach the whole time, but it is a little different kind of beach. The water is calm, and the beach is sandy, but it is not like a normal beach. The horses were very good horses and tame, but the owner lets them follow to close to her, in my opinion. She just states that they love her. We rode across a shallow river to another island were the wild horses hang out. We thought that was pretty cool going across a river and seeing the wild horses. We also saw a group of wild cows on the beach. Yes, I said wild cows! My negative opinion of this place is that she is not a good business owner. For one thing, our trip was supposed to go out at 6:00 p.m. for the sunset ride. I spoke to her that morning, and she said it might be raining but come on at 6:00 p.m. and if it was raining, it would not last long, and we would go out after the rain stopped. We arrived at 5:30 p.m., and we could not find anyone around. I tried to call her, but I had no signal. We waited until around 6:10 p.m. and then went down the road to get a signal. We still could not find a signal, so we went back to the stables. She rode up with a family around 6:15 p.m., and she informed us that they were going to be riding with us at 6:00 p.m., but they said they could come early since it was supposed to rain, and she took them out at 5:15 p.m. She said we should have called and said we were almost there, and they would have waited on us. I think she should have called and asked us if we could come early, too. She also did not even leave a note stating when she would be back, and she could have done that since she was expecting customers. She also states they beginners can ride, but she will give riding instructions before you ride. We got NO INSTRUCTIONS! We were put on horses and off we went. My Mom kept telling her that one side of her leg stirrups was not right, but she did not listen, so at the end of my Mom's ride, her leg was hurting so bad, she fell down when she was going down the steps because her leg could not hold her up. The whole ride, they did not talk to us and was not the least bit friendly. They rode ahead and talked amongst themselves and tried to send pictures on their ipods. It was a very uncomfortable situation. We felt like we were out there by ourselves. My family is experienced riders, but the way her helper kept yelling at us, you would have thought we were beginners. The things she yelled about were not about things we did wrong, but it was about her thinking she was the only one that knew how to ride. Even if we did something wrong, which we did not, you say it nicely what you want fixed to the customer. The owner needs to realize she has customers, and you don't just throw people on a horse and ignore them the rest of the time. The helper she has needs TO LOSE THE ATTITUDE AND START BEING NICER! She also could clean the cobwebs out of the barn. I believe the Horses are the Most important to take care of, but she could still keep things a little cleaner since it is a business. As I said, the horseback riding was Wonderful, but the people STUNK- ATTITUDE WISE!

7  Thank April F
Reviewed 7 July 2016

We had an amazing time on our sunset ride! Beautiful scenery and well-behaved horses made this very pleasurable for us!

Reviewed 22 June 2016

Went riding here last August. The "barn" was really a shack and there was at least a foot of compressed manure in all the stalls in the barn. Supposedly the horses only come to the barn to eat and the rest of the time are allowed to roam the island. The tack for the horses is cobbled together and the bit for my horse was too small for her mouth. The entire ride my horse was irritated. There are little homemade pillow contraptions that are hooked to the saddles which I found odd. I would have preferred just the saddle and the cushion had slipped off by the end of the ride anyway. There were loose pieces of wood on the block that weren't nailed down to make it taller that could be a risk. There were 7 riders and only 1 guide and none but myself had ever had a lesson or ridden a horse. The horses bunched up during the ride and were literally nose to tail or rubbing sides with one another. I finally asked the guide if they were okay being so close as where I volunteer with horses a horse length apart is advised due to risk of kicking by the horses. The lady stated that the horses "know better and are punished if they misbehave" I felt this was said somewhat ominously and quickly after making this comment stated that she doesn't hurt them physically or anything but isolates any horse that "misbehaves" so they do not misbehave as they are social animals. I'm not sure I'm convinced... One of the riders was about 7 or 8 years old and was led by the guide on a smaller pony for the first half of the ride. On the way back he was allowed to ride on his own but the guide didn't watch or keep an eye on him and his parents didn't know what how to instruct him and he had no idea how to steer his pony and at one point dropped the reins entirely. I hung to the back of the group to watch him and had to tell him not to put the reins down and even turned my horse around at one point to ensure he was accompanied by and adult. When I asked if I could dismount w/out the block I was told that the saddle would slip off if I did so, so I had to use the block. It was kind of a stressful ride to pay $70 for.

1  Thank jejouelaflute