“Riding ”

Outer Banks Riding Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cedar Island Stables offer amazing beach trail rides from 60 minutes and up. Travel down the all natural coast line of Pamlico Sound where you will ride on the beach , over and through the dunes, do awesome river crossings island hopping to places only inhabited by wild Spanish horses and free range cattle. Trail rides are available 7 days a week, weather permitting with reservations. Experienced guides, amazing beaches & scenic nature scenes will make your visit one to remember. We are adding the ability for our equestrian friends to bring their own horses, stay in our campground or at our motel and ride at your leisure throughout the beaches. We are completing phase one of the motel and rooms have been completely redone inside with new LED lighting, carpet, granite counter tops, new shower, and sink hardware, new toilets, new doors, Direct TV and new AC units. Join us for lunch or dinner at the all new Sharky's Bar & Grill with great food, pool tables, NFL Ticket & a full bar.
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

Beautiful day in January. The guides were awesome and the horses very well behaved. The scenery is amazing. Riding through the river is must.

1  Thank Scott B
in 10 reviews
"cattle"
"scenery"

Reviewed 9 October 2016

This is our third time riding here and we love it. Cheryl (our guide) does a good job. Our horses were great. Riding them along the beach and into water about knee deep (horse knees that is) was wonderful. Cheryl will use your camera and take great photos of you on the horses. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

I loved my day of riding at Cedar Island with Outer Banks Stables. The guides take their time making sure that each person is on the right horse, is comfortable and is given directions. Very young people, as well as those not entirely dressed for riding all did fine, one guy was barefoot! I recommend shoes and long pants, along with long sleeves - since it is along the beach and not in the shade. There was no need for bug spray! I was on an hour and a half ride, which went along the sound, crossed a stream and then along the beach. We could splash in the waves, what an exhilerating and fantastic time! it was beautiful, and we saw wild horses close up! I was on a super sweet stallion. All of the horses were great. The tour guides made sure everyone had a safe, happy and terrific ride.

1  Thank Amy O
Reviewed 19 July 2016

I would have given the review an Excellent, but the owner and her helper were not pleasant people. I am going to start out with the positive. The horseback riding was GREAT! My family rode on the beach the whole time, but it is a little different kind of beach. The water is calm, and the beach is sandy, but it is not like a normal beach. The horses were very good horses and tame, but the owner lets them follow to close to her, in my opinion. She just states that they love her. We rode across a shallow river to another island were the wild horses hang out. We thought that was pretty cool going across a river and seeing the wild horses. We also saw a group of wild cows on the beach. Yes, I said wild cows! My negative opinion of this place is that she is not a good business owner. For one thing, our trip was supposed to go out at 6:00 p.m. for the sunset ride. I spoke to her that morning, and she said it might be raining but come on at 6:00 p.m. and if it was raining, it would not last long, and we would go out after the rain stopped. We arrived at 5:30 p.m., and we could not find anyone around. I tried to call her, but I had no signal. We waited until around 6:10 p.m. and then went down the road to get a signal. We still could not find a signal, so we went back to the stables. She rode up with a family around 6:15 p.m., and she informed us that they were going to be riding with us at 6:00 p.m., but they said they could come early since it was supposed to rain, and she took them out at 5:15 p.m. She said we should have called and said we were almost there, and they would have waited on us. I think she should have called and asked us if we could come early, too. She also did not even leave a note stating when she would be back, and she could have done that since she was expecting customers. She also states they beginners can ride, but she will give riding instructions before you ride. We got NO INSTRUCTIONS! We were put on horses and off we went. My Mom kept telling her that one side of her leg stirrups was not right, but she did not listen, so at the end of my Mom's ride, her leg was hurting so bad, she fell down when she was going down the steps because her leg could not hold her up. The whole ride, they did not talk to us and was not the least bit friendly. They rode ahead and talked amongst themselves and tried to send pictures on their ipods. It was a very uncomfortable situation. We felt like we were out there by ourselves. My family is experienced riders, but the way her helper kept yelling at us, you would have thought we were beginners. The things she yelled about were not about things we did wrong, but it was about her thinking she was the only one that knew how to ride. Even if we did something wrong, which we did not, you say it nicely what you want fixed to the customer. The owner needs to realize she has customers, and you don't just throw people on a horse and ignore them the rest of the time. The helper she has needs TO LOSE THE ATTITUDE AND START BEING NICER! She also could clean the cobwebs out of the barn. I believe the Horses are the Most important to take care of, but she could still keep things a little cleaner since it is a business. As I said, the horseback riding was Wonderful, but the people STUNK- ATTITUDE WISE!

5  Thank April F