“great dinner”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pineville - Matthews Rd
Reviewed 20 April 2016

4 of us ate here last night for the first time. Atmosphere is nice, dark wood, but fairly open. I had the Caesar salad - it had excellent homemade dressing (my guess is the croutons were homemade as well). Good bread was served complimentary with white kidney bean. My veal saltimbocca was very good. The veal easy was extremely tender and the sauce was very good. My wife had the crab/shrimp ravioli which she said was excellent as was my mothers veal capresse (sp?). My son liked his veal parmagian, but I thought it needed more tomato sauce. Entreee prices were reasonable at about $20. They had a good selection of wines by the glass. My wife also thought the cannoli was good. We will definitely be back. The only criticism I have is they need to get some local craft beers the menu - Charlotte is becoming a craft beer mecca and small businesses need to support each other.

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

My wife and I ate at Rudys on New Year's Eve. We had the tasty cheese stuffed mushrooms as an app. The Italian bread is as good as my Italian grand mother served us. The Osso Buco is one of my favs. My wife had crab filled ravioli that she loves. The cannoli for dessert was the best that I ever had. We've been enjoying Rudys for many years and is one of our favs in CLT. Many of our friends are also fans of Rudys.

Reviewed 3 December 2015

We love to come to Rudy's when visiting our Charlotte family!! It's a wonderful, true Italian place to go. Great food, great service, and always a great time! Don't miss it.

Reviewed 28 October 2015

We have tried this again and Rudy's Italian Restaurant & Bar is as awful a place as I have ever come across. Rudy's has really terrible food, really terrible service, very high prices, and to top it all off, they committed credit card fraud. Allow me to give some details about this dreadful restaurant.

TERRIBLE food. We ordered two house salads. The menu describes the "Insalata Rudy's" as "Field greens tossed w/diced pears, caramelized walnuts, raisins & gorgonzola honey dressing". What we got was lettuce w/very unripe, hard and flavorless small cubes of pear. Hardly any walnuts and raisins. And no gorgonzola honey dressing. Instead of any actual salad dressing, the lettuce was coated with oil. Not olive oil. The lettuce was oiled up with unflavored cooking oil. I would guess it was either plain Wesson or canola oil.

VERY HIGH prices. When you look at the real cost that you are paying at Rudy's, you feel like a sucker for paying so much for such lousy food. The real cost includes the menu price, plus tax, plus 15% tip. So for two "Insalata Rudy's" you are going to pay over $17.

TERRIBLE food. For an appetizer we ordered the "Baked artichokes stuffed with goat cheese and spinach in a roasted pepper garlic white wine sauce". What we got was a few marinated artichokes right out of the marinated artichoke jar that is found on the store shelf. Instead of garden fresh "Baked artichokes" we were served unpleasant, sour, vinegary, marinated artichokes. And the "roasted pepper garlic white wine sauce" never made it to the plate. No sauce at all. This was a truly terrible, way overpriced dish.

TERRIBLE food. One entrée special was the "Pan seared Tilapia with a garlic sauce". The fish was not pan seared, it was baked. It was mushy. It was flavorless and was served without the sauce.

TERRIBLE service. Our server, first thing, told us that "tonight was half price martini night". When our bill came I noticed that we had been charged full price for two unusually expensive martinis. His explanation was that "half price martini night only applies if you are seated in the bar".

CREDIT CARD FRAUD. I discovered that a week after dining at Rudy's someone at the restaurant had increased the amount of the credit card charge by 27 %. This was illegally done without my permission and without my knowledge.

The lessons to be learned from Rudy's is that what you read on the menu or are told by the waiter is not what will be served at the table. Once Rudy's has your credit card, they may try to swindle you (as they did me). At the end of the meal you will have overpaid for appallingly bad strip-mall-food.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

Rudy's Italian Restaurant has the best food and service of any restaurant you will find anywhere. The chef specializes in various fish entrees; however, every dish they have is excellent! The shrimp and crab ravioli with pink sauce is superb and all the other pasta dishes are fabulous as well. It is definitely our "Go To" restaurant where we always know we will get an excellent meal and the best service from our favorite waiter, Jess. We just got back from spending 17 days in Italy and we ate at a lot of fine restaurants--and no place was any better than our favorite Italian restaurant in Ballantyne. Guarantee you will not be disappointed. In addition, besides the excellent wine, you will find the best Cosmopolitans in the world!