“My wife and I had dinner here”
Review of Bentleys

Ranked #794 of 2,622 Restaurants in Charlotte
Neighbourhood: Barclay Downs
Neighbourhood: Barclay Downs
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here Friday, May 21, 2021, and did not have a very positive experience. First, the positives. It has a very nice ambiance, with elegant, but not stuffy, decor. The wait staff were friendly and outgoing. It's located in a really great area with several restaurants, small shops and a few hotels. We split the Bentley's Ribeye, a 22 ounce, bone in steak, which cost $70. The price is clearly on the side, even for top end restaurants. It is severed with bordelaise sauce. We ordered it medium, with all of the sauce on the side. When it arrive it was smothered in the bordelaise sauce and when we cut into it, it was cooked very rare. We showed it to our waiter who immediately took it away. When it was returned, it was the exact same steak. Not exactly sure how they got the sauce off! It was now over cooked to well done. To be honest the flavor was mediocre at best. It still had a hint of the sauce and was over cooked. I rarely leave any steak on the plate, but I could not eat this one. Once we told told our waiter who had the someone come over. Not sure if it was the owner or manager, but when we told him what happened, all he did was explain that it was fine. Said the sauce "cooked off" and its an excellent sauce. We said we weren't doubting the sauce, but we just don't care for it. After a few minutes and it was clear he was annoyed, he left. We ate what we could and left (still gave the waiter a 20% tip!). So, based on the lack of ability to prepare the entree as ordered and the total lack of acknowledgement of the issue by the manager, I cannot recommend this restaurant...certainly not for a $70 ribeye!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (13)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went for dinner last night at Bentley's -South Park to celebrate our grand daughter's graduation from college. Our experience couldn't have been better - welcoming, attentive staff including a table-side visit and chat with the owner, great food and drink, loads of apps to choose from, great entrees, especially the seafood offerings, and an extensive wine list. Nicely situated in South Park's Piedmont Row, easy parking right next door. Highly recommended, special occasions or otherwise - we shall return!!!

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 3 April 2021 via mobile

Excellent all around! First time visiting, and very glad we did. We are always on the hunt for good restaurants in Charlotte (which we think don’t have that many) and really happy we found this place. Service was excellent. Food was excellent. Warning- portions are big, including the appetizers. The calamari I ordered could have been split by 4. We took more food home than ate. Everything was excellent!

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 3 February 2021

This was my 2nd visit to Bentley’s. We had a party of 8. Our reservation was for 7:00. We started ordering about 7:30. A few drinks came while waiting for our appetizers. It’s now about 8:40 we asked the server to get the manager because no appetizers came out. They sent another server that came to the table and asked us “what’s up”. He stated that they had 15 steaks to get out for another table. We wanted to speak to the manager not another server. When the “manager” came we expressed our issue with the appetizers coming late and the rude response of the server. The “manager” said that he apologizes so what do you want. It was clear that he did not care about our concerns and did not offer any solution to rectify the situation. The “manager “ simply walked away. So we decided to leave. Our bill would have been at least $1000. Food maybe delicious but customer service is terrible. We never patronize them again...

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 13 December 2020

Made our reservation on Open Table 10 days ahead of time. We arrived on time for our reservation and were welcomed by the hostesses at the greeter stand at the entrance to the restaurant. After finding our reservation we were taken to a booth in the restaurant. It appears that seating is limited and well spaced then what would be normal due to covid requirements. All staff were wearing masks. Paper menus were left with us to peruse including a wine list and drink list.

Our server Michael came to the table immediately after being sat. He introduced himself and was friendly. He did struggle with speaking loud enough through his mask. We ordered a bottle of wine (Silverado Sangiovese $52). The wine list is extensive with numerous high end wines on the list. The prices on the wines rival high end NY restaurants. I recommend bringing your own bottle (1 per table) and paying the $20 corkage fee.

Michael did a good job of serving the wine and we ordered our dinners after he poured the wine. I ordered the Fried Oyster Rockefeller ($18) and my wife ordered the Lobster Bisque ($12) for our starters. For our entrees I ordered the Steak Au Poivre ($40) and my wife ordered the 8 oz filet mignon ($40). Michael did communicate to us that a Prime Rib was being offered as a special for the evening ($50).

Appetizers were served fairly quickly after ordering. I enjoyed their version of Oysters Rockefeller and my wife enjoyed the generous portion of Lobster Bisque. Rolls were served while we were eating our appetizers. The rolls were warm ciabatta rolls.

Entrees were served shortly after our appetizer dishes were cleared. My NY steak au poivre was cooked a perfect MR as ordered however the au poivre needed more green peppercorns to be a true au poivre. My wife enjoyed her filet. Both steaks were served with plate accompaniments. The cream spinach was outstanding as were the frites that accompanied the steak. My wife thought the artichokes with her filet were too salty.

When I made the reservation at Open Table it asked if were celebrating and I replied that it was our anniversary. Neither the hostess or Michael the waiter made note of that. Not a big deal but a lost opportunity to wow a guest.

Michael was professional and attentive, checking on satisfaction often and did well to suggest dessert. He brought additional rolls when asked but at one point we had to fill our own wine glass.

A review of their most recent health inspection showed they scored a 98 showing they are doing a good job of following sanitation standards to prevent food borne illness.

Date of visit: December 2020