“Adorable Mountain Town”
Review of Chimney Rock

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Alabama
2 helpful votes
“Adorable Mountain Town”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Wonderful little town! We highly recommend a trip to Chimney Rock if you want to stay away from the commercialization of other mountain cities. Lovely downtown area with very friendly shopkeepers to help you with anything! Fun little restaurants with homemade desserts, meals. Beautiful creek running throughout town, fun to watch kayakers! Close to Lake Lure which is another must see in the area! Don't miss out on a visit to "chimney rock" rock! Fantastic trip, great people, wonderful prices...very, very family friendly!

2 Thank 4qtchks
Augusta, Georgia
26 helpful votes
“Amazing views!”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We went to the Chimney Rock last weekend and it was amazing - great views, long pretty trails. Family friendly clean park.

3 Thank aniretake
Central Coast California
435 helpful votes
“The best park to visit in North Carolina”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

FANTASTIC, FAMILY FRIENDLY, PET FRIENDLY, FUN...AND IT FEELS LIKE YOU'RE IN BAVARIA

DATE: JULY 2009
COST: $14 USD ADULTS / $6 USD AGE 6-15 / FREE AGE 6 AND UNDER
ATTRACTION: Excellent for all ages and abilities

History buffs and adventurers Young and Gold will enjoy this National Park attraction. It is easily accessible for people of all abilities. If you can’t climb the stair trail called the “Outcropping”, there is an elevator to the upper deck area called the Sky Lounge. The stairs are safe, well maintained, and offer plenty of rest stops with nice views along the way. All ages were climbing the stairs so don’t be intimidated. If you have a pet, you will have to take the stairs because they’re not allowed in the elevator.

THE HISTORY: In 1903 a young physician from Missouri searched for a better place to live and found the Chimney Rock area favorable. He purchased a large parcel of land which included Chimney Rock and it remained in his family until May 2007 when the State of NC purchased it for a very large sum (I have left some details out for you to discover on your own at the park). Basically the family took great care of everything and developed the property and small town into a very nice place to visit. The US National Park Service does a fantastic job keeping everything top notch including good roads and facilities on site. The gift shop was pretty good too if you’re into that kind of thing. Don’t miss this park. It is a memorable trip and once you’re on top of the mountain the view is amazing which reminded me of the Bavaria Region in Germany.

TIPS: I went in July 2009 and the weather believe it or not was not that hot or muggy…remember it’s in the mountains with cool breezes. If you decide to take the trek with kids, I recommend taking a bottle of water or a few dollars to purchase some drinks at the top. I recommend wearing shorts or light clothing in the summer. Bring a camera, the views are great.

I hope my review helps. Happy travels!

4 Thank California_Wine
Daytona Beach, Florida
97 helpful votes
“Wow! You must take the elevator up!”
Reviewed 5 August 2008

This is a great side trip! The views from Chimney Rock are breathtaking. The way up is anxiety-ridden if you are afraid of heights like me, but my husband drove and I closed my eyes. There is an elevator up to the top, which is great. The kids loved the views and so did we. There's a little cafe at the top and gift store.

When you get down from Chimney Rock, plan to spend some time in the quant little village and if you are inclined, take a dip in the river, which features a swimming hole popular with the locals. My kids had a blast. We made a small picnic lunch and ate it on the picnic tables. The kids waded and swam in the river. It's beautiful. This is also close to Lake Lure, which has a sandy beach and a slide for kids.

Lake Lure Inn looks like it was restored. We didn't go in, but that also might be a nice place to stay. The Esmeralda also looked interesting.

3 Thank FloridaWriter
Chattanooga, Tennessee
193 helpful votes
“Great views overpriced entrance fee”
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I read about Chimney Rock a little on Trip Advisor and then did some digging around online. I knew the price before we went so it wasn't sticker shock but what got us was that for $28 ($14 for each adult) you get entrance into the park ... and that's it. You can hike everywhere and walk on the stairs to Chimney rock and a waterfall but there wasn't anything else to see/do (that did not include an additional fee) that made us understand why there was such a high entrance fee. I guess in order to pay the staff there were a bunch of people working and walking around, so hey it helps the local economy. We're from Georgia and there are plenty of state parks with a lot more to see that cost only $3! Even Stone Mountain which charges $8 a car has a lot more to do and even a laser light show. I guess we're just spoiled.

The views from the top of Chimney Rock are pretty awesome and the staff was nice.

3 Thank KingHuskey

Been to Chimney Rock? Share your experiences!