“Great location if you are visiting Duke”
Review of JB Duke Hotel

JB Duke Hotel
Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I have had the opportunity to stay at the JB Duke multiple times since it has opened. I wish I could give 3.5 stars. On the plus side, the majority of the staff go above and beyond to ensure their patrons are enjoying their stay. Ratechia at the front desk and John at the Bell desk made me feel like family was welcoming me home every time I walked in the door. They were always willing to help with any request I had, small or large. Some of the managers could take a page or two from John and Ratechia's customer service handbooks. Many in my group, including myself, felt that the management treated our group poorly and did not appreciate our patronage. While the hotel is new and still working out the kinks, customers should always be the number one priority. My bigger issue with the JB Duke is the food. Four a "4 diamond" hotel I expect the food to be significantly better. The variety, presentation, quality, and taste of the food at lunch and dinner was sub-par. Even though meals were included in our stay, myself and many in my group ended up eating out for many of our meals because of the poor quality of the food and the unappealing offerings.

I was fortunate enough to stay in a room in the newly built tower which was comfortable and well appointed. The rooms in the older part of hotel are much smaller and far less appealing. If you are visiting Duke, this is a great location. If they work out the issues with the food and treat their customers a bit better, they can hopefully earn their 4 diamond status.

Room Tip: Request a room in the new tower. The old refurbished rooms smell like mildew.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank NYerontour
Samantha P, Administrative Assistant to the General Manager at JB Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

NYerontour -

Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your past stay with us here at the JB Duke. I am very pleased to hear that you received great service from our Front office team during your stay, they do know how to go above and beyond for our guests. I do apologize that the selection and presentation of our food offerings was not quite the standard that you had anticipated to receive. We do work off of a rotational menu for our Kiosk style breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but we do always try to accommodate our guests with special dietary or food restriction needs. I will pass along the feedback to our Culinary team in the hope that we can incorporate a few additional offerings for our future menus, we do always appreciate positive and negative feedback as it helps us to improve our service to our guests. Thank you so much for your feedback, we do hope that you will allocate another visit to the JB Duke for a future stay. Have a great day!

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Came in with a large group of Baylor fans setup by Gary Simpson Travel. Upon arrival I was really impressed with how nice the hotel was, how easy check in was and that rooms were ready on time. The rooms were phenomenal and so comfortable. The bar area is large with lots of seating options or down in the dining area or out in the patio the options are endless. Being on campus was a major plus. To be able to walk a few minutes to the game was great. All the staff we encountered were super nice, especially the valet guys. We will be back soon!!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank texastourist
Samantha P, Assistant to the General Manager at JB Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

texastourist -

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your past stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you found your room to be comfortable and inviting, as well as our lobby areas to be available to sit and gather with friends. We do hope you enjoyed your stay, we loved having the Alumni with us here for a special weekend! Thank you!

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

The JB Duke is a very new facility on the Duke University campus. Rather than compete head-on with the very historic Washington Duke hotel just down the street, the JB has embraced the fact that they can’t replicate the character of the century-old WaDuke, and instead have opted for a very clean, modern (but still warm) feel. The lobby area is expansive, with lots of comfy seating arrangements to accommodate groups large and small, and “window walls” on two sides provide nice views of the woods surrounding most of the hotel. The restaurant and dining patio are also very nice and offered similar wooded views. The rooms were comfortable, bathrooms were good-sized. Everyone (front desk, bellmen, concierge, restaurant, housekeeping, & managers) was exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Samantha P, Assistant to the General Manager at JB Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

KRichTx -
Good afternoon! Thank you for the kind words in regards to your stay with us here at the JB Duke. We have to agree that our Lobby Lounge is a great spot to hang out and enjoy an afternoon beverage, and the view of the forest is quite refreshing. Our staff was very excited to host the fans of Baylor and to extend our hospitality for a fun football weekend. We do hope that you will stay with us if you return to the Durham area, thank you, have a great day!

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the JB for a couple of weeks during my GEMBA residency at Fuqua. The location is unbeatable, amenities are top notch and the staff is off the charts.

There is always great ambiance at the bar, as students, professors and guests gather to share their knowledge and experience.

If you are visiting Duke, nothing beats staying at the JB Duke.

Stayed: September 2017
Samantha P, Assistant to the General Manager at JB Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Ricardo Z -

Hello! We are so happy to hear that you were pleased with the level of service experienced during your long term stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Lobby bar during your stay to congregate with fellow students and professors, it also helps that we have a nice selection of small plates and beer on tap! We hope to see you for a future stay at the JB Duke hotel, thank you!

Reviewed 4 September 2017

If you have business in the Duke campus area, you cannot beat the location of the JB Duke. It is a newly renovated hotel that has a beautiful lobby. The front desk was very friendly and helpful with any questions. My room was located in the older portion of the hotel. The room I had was extremely small, but it was updated nicely. If you are needing a crib or staying with children the room is almost too small. Also my TV never worked. I stayed two nights and my room was never serviced, which I found was odd. We enjoyed breakfast in the hotel which has plenty of options and an omelet bar. Again location can't be beat, but they need to work out a few kinks.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family