“Beautiful course but some maintenance needed”

Duke University Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Robert Trent Jones, this eighteen-hole, par 72 championship golf course features directional bunkering, visible hazards and accessible target greens.
Reviewed 12 October 2017

PROS:
.....In my opinion it's the best public course in the area
.....It's a classic Robert Trent Jones Sr/Rees Jones design with flowing fairways through tall pines and hardwoods to well protected elevated greens
.....The Bermuda greens are fairly large and undulating and I find them to always run fast and true - just don't be above the hole
.....There are no out-of-bounds or real estate on the course
.....Great folks in the clubhouse and 19th hole, and a fantastic hotel and bar/restaurant right there
.....Starters go out of their way to provide anything you may need to make your round enjoyable

CONS:
..... A few washout areas around the course that could use filling/grassing over
.....The most forward tees are too difficult for women - they are rated to be as difficult as the blue tees for men
.....The cart paths and bridges are in desperate need of repair/replacement
.....The bunkers are inconsistent in texture and depth and regularly wash out
.....They need real bathrooms on the course - to be built this winter

All reviews
"inconsistent"
"players"
"game"

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

The Duke U. Golf course after playing UNC course. I have always loved Duke basketball and it felt like I had cheated on Duke so I simply had to play it. Lol!

I did not have a tee time and showed up about 11:40 on a Friday, actually game day of the Miami game. I checked in and they said it was pretty open and next tee time was at noon. Perfect.

And the staff was beyond hospitable at every touch point from check in to the starter riding with me to first hole since I had never played it before and the starter also gave plenty of pointers. To top it off, there was an awesome gentleman waiting at 18 to clean my clubs while I putted out. Fabulous!

I played the course in about 3 hours and 45 minutes as I caught a threesome on number 9. So, I took a work call at 10 and caught threesome again at 13. They played well simply nature of being a solo on pretty busy day. And I never saw the noon tee time behind me.

The course was in great shape wit manicures fairways with a couple inch of rough. The layout was fun with doglegs left and right, water on several holes and a mix of short and long par fours. The par fives were opportunities to be on the green in two with example being Number 9 and I cannot state it enough on that hole as it is more important to be in that fairway to have an awesome look at the hole and the Washington Inn. Cool! The greens were perfection and fun to putt on and the grain mattered as if with the grain, boy was it slick. Great layout and fun course!

The Pro Shop is beautiful with all of that Duke blue popping!! And the 19th hole is awesome, sitting outside with a cold beverage and seeing people on practice green and at 18.

Enjoy a classic beauty in the Duke University Golf Club!

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed this course, going to be one of my favorites it was an excellent condition and interesting to play. It’s a must do

Reviewed 26 June 2017

If you have a chance to play the course at Duke Univ. compared to UNC or NC State (even though that one pains me to say it), I would suggest taking the trip over the the Washington Duke course. This is an old style course with several slight dogleg, single bunker holes that are in excellent conditions with great greens. We played today in just under four hours and could have been done much quicker if we wanted to keep pace quicker. The dining, staff & facilities are all around excellent. I would put Lonnie Poole as a second on the list of the 3 with Finley coming in last.