“Delicious arepas and empanadas”

Luna Rotisserie and Empanadas
Ranked #18 of 817 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Reviewed 2 December 2015

We had not heard of Luna before; we were looking for an interesting place to have lunch in downtown Durham and saw it on Google maps. Luna was delicious and fun. We shared an appetizer plate of 4 Colombian arepas (beef, chicken, pork, and bean) that come with avocado, jack cheese, and sweet corn salsa, and a dish of two empanadas (we chose chorizo and crimini mushroom). The empanadas are $3.50 each or a plate of 2 plus a side for $9.50; our side was a wonderful black bean-and-coconut rice combination. We also tried the two South America-inspired iced teas--horchata and a mint-inflected one.

You order your meal at the host stand inside the entrance, but you're welcome to take a paper menu to a table as you ponder your decisions and then go back to the host to order. (The menu is also written on a giant blackboard up on the wall). Your meal is then delivered to your table. The room is on the noisy side, with concrete floor and brick & cinder block walls.

There are many gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan choices on the menu.

1  Thank Caroline171

Reviewed 2 December 2015

We were excited about dinning here based on enthusiastic reviews, an interesting menu with South American influences, and good crowds after opening. Unfortunately our experience was disappointing. Drinks from the bar were good. Our dishes were uneven, some good some with less flavor than expected. Pork carnitas were just average for whats available in the area. The arepas sampler dish were too thick and doughy with tasty pork and chicken filling, but tasteless bean and gristly and fatty beef fillings. The biggest problem was the delivery of the main courses within 3 minutes of the appetizers. There was barely room on the small table for all the dishes. This is a new restaurant with an interesting concept so maybe things will improve. We do not plan to go back in the near future but will monitor reviews and give it a shot if enthusiasm continues. If you decide to give it a try, I strongly suggest waiting to order main courses until after appetizers have arrived. By time we finished the appetizers our main courses had cooled.

2  Thank Ancheviaggio
Reviewed 2 December 2015

I really enjoyed the causal dining experience at Luna. The decor is simple and the service was excellent. I had the empanadas with black beans and slaw and found it delicious. My husband had the rotisserie chicken with a side of greens were the best I have had. I will definitely go back for more. It has a relaxed atmosphere but it is very serious about good food.

Reviewed 30 November 2015

Great empanadas and grain bowl. Service was speedy, and server was friendly and informative. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

I dined here on a week night before a show at the Carolina Theater (a five minute slow walk away). I ordered the sampler of arepas and sat down. The tables against the wall with a bench seat are close together and I was able to chat with the couple next to me. Of course you don't have to chat with your neighbors if you don't want to. An elderly couple walked in to order food and the lady started to look unwell. The staff and her husband immediately got her to a table (right in front of me). They brought her water out. After a few minutes she collapsed. The manager had been standing at the hostess stand/order counter watching them and immediately told the hostess to call 911 while he rushed over to help the husband put her in a more reclined position at the table. All diners around the table were concerned but it was obvious she was being taken care of. Our own wait staff came by every table to check on us to make sure we weren't being forgotten. As soon as you could see flashing lights bouncing off the the businesses outside the manager went outside to direct them in. Everyone was very professional and didn't really interrupt anyone else's dinner. My arepas were delicious. The brisket just melts in your mouth. There were four arepas on my plate, each a different one. Just filling enough for a dinner. Reasonably priced, great local ingredients. The only cons I could see is, it's very LOUD in there. The restaurant wasn't completely full but it was loud to me. I can't imagine being able to hear table mates on a busy night. Some sound absorbing materials on the wall in an interesting and artistic design could help that. Also, the children's menu is not for picky children. So if you have little ones that only eat five very specific things they will not enjoy the choices here. I look forward to dining here again in the future and trying some other things on the menu.