“A fantastic find! ”

El Chapin Restaurante
Ranked #221 of 792 Restaurants in Durham
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

The food was delicious! It was tucked away in a strip mall and I would have never have seen it. Thank you TripAdvisor for making places like this easy to find. I will definitely eat here again when I am back in town.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We tried this Guatemalan restaurant on the spur of the moment, and we were glad we did. The atmosphere was cheery, the staff were friendly, and the food supplies along one wall (geared to a Guatemalan clientele) were interesting to peruse. This is a small family-run restaurant; they were patient in explaining the menu and made sure we were satisfied throughout the meal. Both of our meals were excellent--well prepared using fresh ingredients. We don't know a lot about Central American cuisine, but we both enjoyed the flavors of our meals. We will definitely return!

Reviewed 22 September 2016

We're coming back to this new restaurant! Really liked the small plates and appetizers for their unusual flavors and prices. The wait staff is super friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

The family who owns and runs this adorable little place are so nice and welcoming! It's also a plus that the food is great.

Reviewed 21 July 2016

I have lived in Chapel Hill, NC since 1998; there are lots of good restaurants around including a good selection of Mexican and even Salvadoran restaurants. My wife discovered this place and was really excited about it as I'm originally from Guatemala and we lived there for two years in 1993 and 1994. So the whole family went to try the place and we were definitely not disappointed. The food is freshly made and cooked to order and several dishes are so authentic that my wife got teary eyed tasting the chicken soup as it reminded her of the great times we had when we lived in Guatemala City. Other dishes to try include the garnachas, the tamales, chuchitos and tostadas, as well as the seafood stew offered on Sundays. The location and the setting are simple, so most people come for the food, the décor also reminds you of Guatemala and the grocery store offers a variety of Guatemalan and central American groceries and drinks. They don't have a liquor license yet, so no beer or wine is available, but they have great freshly made drinks including juices, frescos (such as horchata) and licuados that use fresh fruits mixed with milk. The service is good and the owners are nice and friendly. We brought my dad when he was visiting from Guatemala and he had a great time and gave his approval. For an authentic Guatemalan experience in North Carolina, don't miss this place.