“Lots of counfusion at checking, strangers opening my door, lied to about bedbug treatment and oh yea the fire alarms...”

Candlewood Suites Greenville
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed 24 April 2017

I have stayed here maybe a dozen times over the past 2 years, and generally it is fine. The hotel isn’t fancy, but it is reasonably new and clean, and the rooms have a mini kitchen. It does the trick when I have points to burn. In the past, I have had problems with fire alarms going off while I sleep (most likely b/c inconsiderate guests decide to cook dinner at 10 pm..) and I don’t like that the gym is in the laundry room (free laundry) so it’s full of lint and humidity.
This stay (Jan 2017) was the worst I have ever had.
I arrive and check in, I am given room 320 (1 queen bed). The key card doesn’t work, I see a green light but the door doesn’t open. No biggy, they give me a different room, 222 (2 double beds). I prefer the bigger bed, but no biggy, it’s just me. I go to the gym, the come back and shower, and around 5:30, 2 young men open my door while I am eating dinner in my underwear. Apparently they were given the same room. They go back to the front desk, who calls me quite surprised that I am in the room (a young lady checked me in, a young man seemed to have been there after 5, and apparently they didn’t communicate well, as he didn’t know that I was in this room).
I’m still not upset. Around 7:45 am, I go down to get a cup of coffee then go back up. At the elevator, there is a crew carrying large gas tanks. I am curious and ask: what is that, and they just say “gas.” I assume it is for the stove and go get my coffee. On the way back to my room, my door doesn’t open (orange light this time). So I go to the front desk, which is manned by a different young woman, and I have to explain the entire thing to her. Initially she thought I was there for 1 night and that is why the card didn’t work, presumably surprised that I am in that room rather than 320. Still it was like 8:00, I’m pretty sure the card should work until Checkout. Turns out, when they gave the new cards to the young men yesterday, it deactivated my card. That’s fine, I get it, I’m STILL not upset. I just hope that they know that I’m there for 2 nights in room 222 now.
I take my new key cards, go back upstairs and have breakfast, I notice that my stove is actually electric, and that the hallway smells pretty badly of gas. I figure, maybe the VIP suites have gas ranges (but I was on the 2nd floor… the VIP suites, if there are any, should be on the top floor) or maybe the heaters use gas.
As I put on my gym cloths and started stretching, I noticed the gas smell in my room, and it was getting hard to breath. I went to the gym, and took the stairs to avoid the elevator, since it seems like gas smell was coming from that direction.
After working out, I go upstairs, and the gas smell is incredible, and it’s really, really hot. I call downstairs and ask if there is a health risk, I wasn’t even asking what was going on. The young lady tells me that someone hadn’t used their heater for a long time, and just turned it on. This is odd, as it was 60 degrees and had been much colder a few nights before. Also, it struck me as odd that they have guests who stay long enough for that to happen. I asked twice if there was a health risk from the gas fumes, and twice she assured me that there wasn’t. I still wasn’t even worried, so it didn’t occur to me that her explanation didn’t make sense, turning on the heat shouldn’t make a gas smell and a really hot hallway.
I opened my windows and showered as quickly as I could, I didn’t even shave b/c I was concerned about breathing that gas. On the way out the door, I stopped for a coffee refill (the first floor was fine), and I started talking to another guest who was fixing his coffee. He said that it was bedbugs, that they use gas heaters to make the room hot and kill them.
While waiting for my Jersey Mikes to be made, I googled it on the my phone, and I saw that he was correct. I saw pictures for the heaters that people use to kill bedbugs, and they were the exact same thing that I saw on the elevator.
Finally, I am upset, it seems more likely than not that the receptionist flat out lied to me about the guy not turning on his heater. If it is bedbugs, you can tell me, and if you are going to lie about that, then are you going to lie to me about the health risks of breathing that gas. In fairness, the people who were cleaning the room were breathing it, so maybe she was right about that. But still.
I am going to make a note of the room number where they were working on the bedbugs, and I won’t take that room anymore. I’m now concerned about bedbugs being in the hallways, elevator, gym, laundry where they do the sheets, etc.
In fairness, in every point of contact, everyone was nice and professional, but I don’t appreciate being lied to.

Room Tip: They all seem about the same, I've stayed several times
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank fsu23phd
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Dear fsu23phd,

Thank you for your candid feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm extremely sorry that you did not experience an outstanding hotel experience, due to the incidents during your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for that. I have taken note of your comments regarding your interaction with some of our staff. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the appropriate management team for review.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 6 April 2017

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The Candlewood Suites from September 2016-April 2017. Our stay was very pleasant. The staff at the property always had a warm smile and a welcoming hello anytime we passed the lobby. Housekeeping was amazing. Every time our room was cleaned it was like we checked out and checked back in. They cleaned from top to bottom. The dishwasher in our unit was heaven sent as washing dishes has to one of my least favorite things to do. The kitchen itself was so very helpful.my husband travels for work 11 months out of the year, a lot of times we have to settle for only a small refrigerator and microwave. The Candlewood kitchens are equipped with a large fridge, 2 burner stove, microwave, toaster, all cooking utensils u will need, they also supply you with dishwashing liquid for the sink as well as the dishwasher. Another great feature of the hotel is the free laundry. U simply take your laundry downstairs and load and wash. No quarters needed. Just bring soap. If you happen to forget they do have a small "panrty" that has food, beverages, and necessities like laundry soap, toothpaste, and razors. We enjoyed the town of Greenville so much that while in town we looked at a few properties hoping to make Greenville our home. I highly recommend this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If u are sensitive to noise request the 4th floor to avoid having people over top of ur room
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
FOW, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Thank you for your very grateful review of your recent stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our entire team. A review like this is a great moral builder for our team. Thank you again for choosing Candlewood Suites for your "home away from home" while in Greenville NC.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

I was in town on business and often when I travel I find establishments lack the peace and quiet I need away from the hustle and bustle of work and/or personal business ventures. My stay at Candlewood Suites was beyond amazing. The staff and management were very personable and assured me and my guest were well taken care of. The beds felt like heaven and the room setup was serene. I will look for a Candlewood Suite establishment on my next trip and will be certain to revisit Greenville, NC!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
FOW, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for your gracious review. It is rewarding to know we have such a satisfied Guest.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

After our experience, I certainly would not stay at this property again. The sheets were beyond worn and pilling, making it feel like you were sleeping on sandpaper. Also, when I woke up in the morning I had bites on my leg and saw what I believe to be a bed bug upon closer inspection. We were in a hurry to leave and as we left, no one was standing at the front desk to tell, so that same day I wrote an email through the IHG app with a photo of the sheets and potential bed bug. A few days later, I got a call from the manager of the hotel who proceeded to scold me relentlessly for not telling someone before I left about our problems. She also told me I spoke with someone from housekeeping about the sheets when I didn't. She insisted I spoke with someone despite me repeatedly telling her I hadn't. It was the strangest conversation I have ever had with someone in the customer service industry. A half hour later, she called back and left me a voicemail telling me she had made a mistake and I hadn't talked to the housekeeper. Just terrible customer service all the way around. Please don't scold your customers when they tell you they have a problem. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LucWise
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2017

Dear LucWise,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave us your feedback. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel and the overall condition of the room assigned to you. I’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Let me start by saying I gave it 2 stars because of the cleanliness of the room other than that don't come if you want to have clean towels every day don't expect it you have bring your used towels to the desk & get your own no house keeping service so be prepared to make your own bed & get your own toilet paper if you run out also wasn't allowed to check-in early explained we was going to a funeral & was on the road all night but was told later we could have it shouldn't have been a problem but sure didn't have an issue with me paying for the room in full early let's just say the the girl who was working don't know how to deal with public and need to be retrained in all areas of customer service also don't look for any type of breakfast they don't have it unless you pay for the frozen food items or dry cereal you only are getting coffee tea or hot chocolate never again!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
FOW, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Thank you for your visit to the Candlewood Suites Greenville NC and for posting candid feedback from your recent stay with us. I was concerned to see that you were not impressed with our property particularly with the staff service. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Candlewood Suites Greenville NC is an extended-stay hotel meeting all the IHG Brand Standards for a Candlewood Suites. We do not offer continental breakfast but we do offer free coffee in our Cupboard and reasonably priced breakfast items that can be prepared in the fully equipped kitchen with microwave and full size refrigerator. We do offer daily housekeeping upon request for an additional fee. We do offer early check in, however, on the night before you wanted to check in early (before noon), we had 93 of 94 rooms rented. Check out is noon. WE DID NOT HAVE A ROOM AVAILABLE FOR YOU AT THE TIME OF YOUR REQUEST! We authorized your credit card for your reservation at check in but we did not charge your card until you checked out of the hotel. This is standard business practice at any hotel.