“Unpretentious, High Quality and Low Prices. What's Not to Like?”
Review of University Kitchen

University Kitchen
Ranked #21 of 301 Restaurants in High Point
Reviewed 9 August 2016

A friend described this place as an "upscale diner." I guess that's as good a description as any except that breakfast is not served. Four of us went for dinner. This place used to be called the Cast Iron Kitchen and before that it was a Libby Hill seafood restaurant. The good news is that it has been thoroughly renovated for the better. It's clean and bright and decorated with High Point University as its focal point. The menu is huge. So are the servings, and the prices are (dare I say) surprisingly low. The grilled salmon got great reviews, as did the Penne vodka pasta and grilled salmon salad. I went traditionally Southern with chicken fried steak which was good. Everything seems to come with two sides, and the ones we chose were as much a reason to visit as the entrees. Thumbs up for the collard greens, yams, green beans and baked potato. Beer selections are limited to bottles of Bud, Bud Light, Corona and Goose Island IPA. A tap is coming. So is wine. The glasses are on order(?!). Service was enthusiastic. By the time we left at 6:15 on a Saturday the place was filling up. This is definitely worth at least another visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

I have eaten here 6 times in the past three weeks. For a small 2 restaurant, family restaurant, the food quality is pretty amazing. The spaghetti and lasagna portions are huge. The wings are big but are not fresh, sauces options are good. All the vegetables are seasoned well and they do offer a vegetable plate. Soft drinks are reasonably priced. The big home run are the home made desserts displayed in a glass case, the cheesecake and red velvet are worth taking a piece home. The only negatives that are worth mentioning are the salad mix is too wet, so not as crisp as it could be and the servers are still learning the ins and outs of an extensive menu. You have become my new favorite HP family casual valued dining spot.

1  Thank FATZOP
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to give this new restaurant a try. We went around 2pm for a late lunch so it wasn't very busy ( about 5 other tables were occupied). The place was clean and the waitress was very friendly. The menu was varied but they emphasize Italian. We ordered fried squash for an appetizer and it was really delicious. I had the Philly cheese steak and it was very very good . MY girlfriend's each had cheeseburgers and they reported that they were cooked right and tasty. The lunches came with homemade potato chips - which were very decent. They had lunch specials for under $7 which nowadays is a fair price. We did have to wait an especially long time for the appetizer. I would go back to try other things.