“Great fried chicken”

Becky's & Mary's Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 289 Restaurants in High Point
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

My husband and I both got the fried chicken. He ordered corn and dressing with his, and I ordered the collard greens. It was all great! The only negative thing I have to say about the restaurant is that either the air conditioning was not working or they didn't have any, so it was rather warm inside.

Everyone there was so friendly, including the person who greeted us, the person who took our order and one of the owners (Mary), who came out with a sample of her chicken dumplings for us to taste. It was also really good.

Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

I lived in HP for over 10 years and I hadn't heard about this gem of a place until I moved to WS...go figure. Firstly, you get a lot for the money. I paid $7 for chicken wings, yams, and collard greens. Secondly, the food is everything...the seasoning, the flavors, the texture. It's comfort food at it's finest.

Reviewed 3 July 2016

I've been wanting to try this place out for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it and its in a neighborhood I don't normally go to. I was pleasantly surprised. The entrance does need a little touch up paint but as you walk in its like you are walking back in time to a locals diner. I got a fish plate with pinto beans and yams and a chicken plate with pintos and corn. Ohhh my goodness was it delicious. Best fried chicken ever!!! Beats KFC, Bo-Time, Pioneer, even home cooked fried chicken doesn't have anything on this. I love Pioneer's fried chicken but it always makes my stomach upset from all the grease. Not Becky's & Mary's its just right. The fish the best fried fish I have ever had. Better than any 4 star restaurant that I've been to. Way better than Captain Tom's or any of the other seafood restaurants in High Point. The yams were off the hook too. Cooked to perfection. I've been to Mama Dips in Chapel Hill which is suppose to be a top rated soul food restaurant. Mama Dip ain't got nothing on Becky & Mary. I'm serious this is better than your grandmother's or your mom's home cooking. The banana pudding was delicious too. This is a must try restaurant.

Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

well, it's not what I expected. not sure how the food is because it was smoldering hot in the place. the guy taking orders was a great guy. I will try again when weather permits.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

I just love comfort foods that are homemade by a family owned staff. This is soul food that is excellent and priced right. This is a no frills place that puts out the food. While the signage is non-existent, it is next to a church. Some of the other reviewers commented on the location but I found it to be next to a church and across the street from a small park. I had the fried chicken and it was as good as any I've ever had. Crispy on the outside, juicy inside with a not too heavy batter that was cooked to perfection. I chose the potato salad and it had a wonderful, slightly sweet undertone that makes you want more and more. I also had the collard greens that were seasoned well but I would want to try some of the other sides. The service was quick and friendly and I will definitely visit again so I can try some of the other entrees. As I said earlier, there are no frills so don't expect tablecloths but you can expect good food, fresh ingredients and a soul food experience. It ended up being a great place to have a business lunch meeting that was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone.

1  Thank Ted K