“Small, but decent”

Driftin' Sands Motel
Driftin' Sands Motel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 9 August 2016

My room was very small. The bathroom was tiny, especially the shower. That being said this room served my purposes well. One person who just needed a place to crash for a few nights. It would have been tight for much more than one person or a family.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

I was surprised that our motel room was actually pretty clean, larger than it looked in the pictures, and felt cozy. Even though it is very bare, the love seat in the living room is wooden framed and super uncomfortable but it's a motel. Its usually for weekend trips like ours was. It did my family of three justice (we have a 3 year old). We rented the 2 bedroom cottage style room. Came with a kitchenette, 2 tv's with good channels, and decently comfortable beds (full beds). Would stay again. Its very cozy and right down the street from EVERYTHING. Love it.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Samantha B
Reviewed 16 June 2016

Clean, quaint, centrally located, affordable and very helpful staff.. Great place for a quick weekend or vacation! Highly recommend to anyone. Couples to families. Across the street from the beach. Shopping and restaurants all around.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank abcwhitley
Reviewed 7 June 2016

Recently I visited the outbanks to go on a tuna fishing charter. I reviewed the TripAdvisor reviews prior to departing. I should have listened to the advice clearly presented. To make a long story short, the place is about the size of storage shed. The bed was a full size bed. You can barely walk around the bed due to the tight space. The fitted sheet had female hair still on it. The bathroom was dirty. There is also no maid service daily. I was booked for two days and checked out after the first night. This place is not even appropriate for a camper. I relocated to the KOA Hatteras cabins and was more comfortable. The internet does not work and cell reception is minimal in the rooms. Spend the extra money and reserve a nice room elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank mkharr4
Sarah F, Communications Coordinator at Driftin' Sands Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always trying to improve. We do have a daily housekeeping staff to clean the property and are looking into the issues you explained. Management has been notified about the internet issues and has fixed the issue. Unfortunately cell reception is based on your phone company and out of our control. We try to provide a clear representation of the room in all our listings. I'm sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory and we take all feedback seriously.

Reviewed 23 September 2015

My husband and I decided to take a long weekend trip to the Outer Banks in NC. We had never been here before. I did not book a hotel before we left thinking it would not be crowded after Labor day, well I was wrong. We get there and almost every hotel or motel was booked up. This motel was the only one we could find and we were tired so decided to book the room. The room was tiny, we could barely squeeze by each other. The bathroom shower was so small my husband had to squat down to take a shower. There was only a half of roll of toilet paper and no extra under the sink. We had to actually ask our neighbors if we could borrow some because it was so late at night and no one works there...it is managed by the Days Inn up the street. There was a used wash cloth in the shower, the room smelled, and my husbands pillow had blood stains on it!!!! It was gross!!! Luckily I had brought our own pillows and blanket. Horrible place...do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
4.3 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks
2.4 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.8 km away
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
1.9 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.3 km away
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Driftin' Sands Motel? Share your experiences!