“Really good. ”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Seems like the place to go for a gourmet meal. Southern service. Ambiance is an old house. Go check it out.

Carlen P, Owner at The Colington Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

I am so glad you enjoyed your time at The Colington Cafe. We really appreciate you taking out the time to share with others. Happy Holidays.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I took college friends there recently while gathering for a reunion. We hadn't been there in probably over 10 years... each of us was very happy with our meal. The service was super and we will definitely return. We were also happy with the pricing... the meal was LESS expensive than the quality would suggest.

Thank you so much for your review. It means so much to us, especially when we hear about reunions that make them even better. We really appreciate it.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

As others have stated the pretentiousness here is in fact real. This establishment seems to be making do on reputation and regulars. I can't rate the food because I've never tried it and I no longer wish to. If the service is any reflection of what the kitchen staff can be "bothered with"...nevermind, just forget it. On to my "review", if you can call it that. Frankly, I'm just p*ssed off and just wanted to share my experience, but I'm really trying to be civil and objective. I did want to say I really hope those who get to try the food are able to avoid what I experienced and enjoy the food as it looks outstanding, or maybe I just hope this places goes out of business. Perhaps that's too harsh and not fair? Whatever.

We waited 5 minutes after we walked in before being acknowledged, then continued to wait while watching another group who came in after us be seated before us. Seriously? Given what happened, I was appalled, but was reassured by the hostess I would be seated in only another 5 minutes. Well 5 minutes pass and no table so I told my wife "Either we're seated in the next 60 seconds or I'm walking out". She agreed. Maybe this restaurant forgot, and frankly I think it's embarrassing and utterly ridiculous I should have to explain that it is in fact a social norm and a generally accepted practice by most dining establishments in the United States that when customers arrive having made a reservation, you do NOT under any circumstances seat another group who has arrived after the first to arrive for that reservation time. I don't care if their table was ready and mine was not. I don't care if they made reservations a year ago. I don't care if their reservation was 15 minutes before mine and they showed up late. Tough. They should wait, just like my wife and I did. You seat based on order of arrival, even if parties are different sizes, even if the other party has to wait a few minutes (like the first party does), even if the restaurant is busy.

How dare you seat your friends/acquaintances who seemingly "just called" while ignoring my wife and I as we've already waited patiently and continued to wait. Considering this is the off season, and especially considering this is one of the most highly-rated restaurants in the area, regardless of who a potential customer is to you it is an expectation that customers with reservations are seated based on order or arrival (assuming they have arrived 5 to 10 minutes before their reservation time)

A reservation is a reservation. I don't care if it's your friend, your family, a celebrity/food critic, or the President of the United States. Seating out of order sends the wrong message and it's rude, it's unacceptable, and frankly it's ridiculous. Last I checked this wasn't a country club as I see nothing about membership levels/fees. Maybe I was wrong? I now have absolutely no desire to return here and I will never dine at this establishment. Hoping others don't have to experience what my wife and I did.

This was the first and only time I experienced first-hand this sort of behavior from a highly-rated establishment. Literally no other restaurant I've dined at has had the gall to pull a stunt like this.

Carlen P, Owner at The Colington Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Sir, We are so sorry about your experience but to be honest with you, you are the most vindictive customer we have had in 30 years. You failed to mention your reservation was at 7:30 and you stormed out at 7:28. My gracious daughter was the hostess and she said she was trying to get you a more comfortable table, but your table WAS ready at your reservation time. The friend of mine she was talking to has recently recovered from cancer, so if we want to give additional attention to such customers, that is our right and hardly our "pretentiousness." Like me and our entire staff, she has a very caring heart. And yes, they were seated before you because there table was ready before yours. For you to give us the lowest rating on our FOOD, SERVICE, AMBIANCE without even eating there.... is very unkind as I am proud to say we have 30 wonderful employees (and their families) of whom each is affected by reviews. And to say "I hope they go out of business" is downright mean and very sad to me ( I support 100 local charities, 10 orphans, our local schools) and ludicrous because your fuse went off at 60 seconds. We do over 30,000 customers a year, and we truly appreciate every single one of them. I love nothing more than making people happy, especially with food and sincere kindness. Maybe you don't know what this is. I know I have been to restaurants when I was very hungry and a bit inpatient, but we did nothing wrong to receive this review. But, I am sorry .

Reviewed 13 November 2017

We have been coming to the Outer Banks every year (more than once a year) since 1994. We just discovered this hidden gem on our latest trip in Nov of 2017. It is a charming, family run place that caters to their guests. Food was very good, cooked to order, but could have been a little hotter. Some of the food on the plate was steamy, some was only warm. All was delicious.

Unfortunately they were out of the wine we wanted to order, but brought us a sample (almost a full glass) of a different wine to try and gave us a free dessert as an apology. Nice touch.

No question we will return .... and we are fussy foodies!

Thank you so much for taking out the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I know others appreciate it too. I am so glad you enjoyed your meal and I am so sorry that everything was piping hot. Our entrees are made to order but I will mention to our kitchen staff to make sure they get Potatoes from the bottom. And, I apologize for being out of the wine. We don't normally run out, but sometimes the deliveries are a bit sporadic this time of the year. Thank you for understanding. Happy Holidays.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Colington Cafe is tucked away off the beaten path but worth the search. The atmosphere, menu, and wait staff make eating there a pleasure. We have gone for years and do not feel our trip to the Outer Banks is really complete without the Colington Cafe. We have also given gift cards to friend to introduce them to the Cafe.

Thank you so much for taking out the time to write on the Cafe. We really appreciate it. It is so nice that we are a special part of your trip to the Outer Banks. We all love and appreciate our customers so much.. Thanks again for the nice compliments.
Next time you are in you tell the waiter the owner, Carlen, said you get 2 dessets. :) All made from scratch..