4 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$134
PricelineUS$134
FindHotelUS$134
1,160 results
All reviews tower room indoor pool hot tub dune view main building second floor watch the sunrise beach access free breakfast off season parking lot the room was nice rooms were very clean staff was very friendly and helpful gazebo motel obx
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 September 2020

I usually stay in one of the well-known chains when I need a hotel. But when we decided to take a last-minute 2-day trip to Kill Devil Hills we chose to take a "chance" on Shutters on the Banks based on the high ratings on TripAdvisor. We had a great experience! As others have noted, the rooms are nicely updated, beds very comfortable, and location/ease to beach was perfect. One thing that really struck me was how quiet the room was! I never heard any other guests from inside the room, even though the hotel seemed pretty full based on the parking lot.

Every staff member we encountered was authentically friendly (not like some of the gratuitous "friendliness" I sometimes get in large chains). They even offered hot breakfast options for the free breakfast, served by a staff member adhering to all COVID precautions. The continental options had a good variety as well.

We had an oceanfront room on the 4th floor, and the view was amazing. We will definitely come here again when we return to the Outer Banks!

Room tip: Oceanfront on a high floor for a great view!
Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank MJWalsh4
Karen Vick, Guest Services / Front Office at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2020

Hi MJWalsh4,

Wow, what a wonderful review. Thank you so much! We are so pleased that you had a great experience with us, we strive to do our best and make everyone feel like family when they are here. We can't wait for your return visit. Stay safe and we will see you soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2020

I picked this hotel from the overall good reviews on Trip Advisor. And it was a good call. Location cannot be beat. Room was large and the grounds were immaculate. Front desk service agent, Joe, gave us a great suggestion for dinner at one of the local restaurants. And dinner was delicious. If we make another trip to OBX, we would consider staying here again. A very pleasant experience.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank Sunny M

Hello st-pete-sunny,
Thank you for the review. We are so delighted that you picked us and had a nice stay with us. We are so pleased you enjoyed Joe's dinner recommendation. Please stop in again on your next visit to the OBX!

Reviewed 24 August 2020

Small hotel on the water. Rooms very clean, bed very comfortable. Beach access is very nice ! Staff very friendly and attentive. Both indoor and outdoor pools are clean and well maintained.
Would recommend staying there.

Date of stay: August 2020
1  Thank CHager620
Karen Vick, Guest Services / Front Office at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2020

It is our sincere pleasure to serve you! We are happy when you are happy! Looking forward to taking care of you again soon whenever your travels bring you back to our area!

Reviewed 16 August 2020 via mobile

This was our first time for this hotel. It’s looked wonderful and in June you need an indoor pool with kids.
Our room was perfect, the pools and office staff was perfect. The day we arrive there was sand in the floor it had not been sweep, the next morning I ask my housekeeper to sweep but she said they didn’t do that, they didn’t leave towels, change the trash we were here 9 days out of the 9 days I had to call the office 7 due to housekeeping. The manager was great she always had someone come to our rescue.
I wanted to give this place and excellent review, but due to our housekeeping I couldn’t.
I spoke the manager the day we left, about this review. The office staff was amazing.
While they always had another housekeeper come and clean our room, I thought they would have given use a discount or something because always asking for stuff to be done and sometimes the inconvenience of waiting to enter our room to clean up.
I got tired of asking about the floor so I purchased my own broom and dust pan, the pool towels made an excellent mop. Like I said they accommodated us in every way except changing our house keeper.
I would stay here again but ask who my housekeeper is before entering my room. They was a couple of housekeepers I would request.

Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 787DeeS

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shutters On The Banks and providing your honest feedback. Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent housekeeping issues from occurring in the future.Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again.

Reviewed 15 August 2020

We needed a quick place to stay due to be displaced by Hurricane Isaias, this hotel looked amazing in the pictures. Our son has dietary restrictions, so we rented the efficiency with a kitchenette. The room was TINY! very difficult for 2 adults and a teenager to maneuver in. The beds were small. They were advertised as Queens, but had to be the smallest queens I've ever slept in. The hotel supposedly had Covid cleaning, but we had to clean and disinfect ourselves.

The location was great! Good walk to the beach and conveniently located close to Hwy 158 with restaurants and grocery stores. The efficiencies have no beach view, but we were told that.

I don't like the fact that payment for the full rental is charged upfront and you are not able to change the reservation after booking. We only needed to stay one night, but could not change our 2-night reservation.

Not a bad a stay, but not a great one either.

Date of stay: August 2020

We recognize your time is valuable and appreciate the feedback you have provided. On behalf of the entire team at the Shutters On The Banks, I sincerely apologize for falling short of not meeting your expectations.