“Clean, but Dated”

Fairways of the Mountains
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Reviewed 7 July 2012

For our very first visit to Lake Lure, we stayed one week in a 1 bedroom upstairs unit at Fairways of the Mountains resort which is part of the Rumbling Bald resort. It was a quiet location on the 10th Fairway of the Apple Valley Golf Course (~5 minute drive to the major resort amenities on Lake Lure). The unit was nothing special and need of updating, but was clean. The few maintenance issues we had were fixed promptly. The kitchen was very small, but adequately stocked. The deck was new and good size, but exposed to hot afternoon sun. We had none of the lady bug issues that Lake Lure is apparently famous for. The Apple Valley pool is significantly smaller than the pool at Rumbling Bald and was not refreshing on a hot June day. Free Wi-Fi is available a short walk away in the lobby of the building that houses Luna del Sol restaurant and the Pro Shop for the Apple Valley golf course. However, we had excellent signal for our smart phones right at the condo. The bed in our unit was also very comfortable, but the bedroom does not have a ceiling fan. Our 16 year old used the pull out bed from the sleeper sofa all week without too much complaint. There was no DVD player in our unit. Regarding local activities, both 18 hole golf courses are very nice, but very tight - the back 9's of both are especially picturesque. The lake cruise available from the main resort area was very good. While the views from Chimney Rock are very good, the $15 entry fee is excessive for a state park (there is a $2 discount for AAA members). The walk to the top only takes about 10 minutes so skip the elevator unless you have health issues. The folks and guides at Canopy Ridge Farm (zip lining and kayaks) are very nice, but the price for riding the 6 zip lines was excessive ($60/person). It was fun, but not that fun. For eating we recommend Genny's for breakfast in Chimney Rock Village and Luna del Sol at the Apple Valley Golf Course. The local Ingles market is very nice and extremely well stocked with anything you should need. There is no fast food anywhere in the area so be prepared if there are any fast food junkies in your group.

Room Tip: We did not see the downstairs units. Based on other reviews, try to request an updated unit. All th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Augusta_Chuck

Reviewed 22 June 2012

My wife, our two infants, and I stayed in 3308A (1-bedroom). Our unit was updated and clean upon our arrival. Televisions in the bedroom and living room. The kitchen was fully stocked with kitchenware. We didn't spend excessive time in the unit, but we were comfortable when we were there. The walls are thin, so we could hear our neighbor at times, but this seems typical at resorts I've been to.

As others have noted, the two big drawbacks to this resort are what you might expect at a mountaintop resort: limited internet access and being farther away from resort amenities. My wife and I used our cell phone as a hotspot for the trip, as going to the lodge for wifi seemed inconvenient. The main resort - Rumbling Bald - was about 5 minutes away by car. The main resort had lots of family-friendly amenities: indoor and outdoor pool, lazy river, beach access to Lake Lure, marina, two eateries (Lakeview Restaurant's prime rib buffet is not to be missed... the food and view were excellent), plenty of golfing, basketball and tennis courts, and mini golf. Our family left the resort often for activities elsewhere (my 1 1/2 year-old daughter climbed every step up Chimney Rock... we were so proud!), but when we were at the resort we had no problem finding things to do.

I particularly enjoyed the private lake at the resort above Lake Lure. It required no boating permit, and so I took my kayak out several times for bass fishing. It was a lot of fun and there was much less boat traffic than that on Lake Lure!

The scenery in the mountains of western Carolina is breath-taking! The views from our deck were great to wake up to each morning. Great for birding and hiking!

Regarding the resort, I was very impressed by the service we received. On the third night of our stay, my wife called me (I was fishing) alarmed that her key cards were not working. It was 9pm. I called security and they came within five minutes to check the cards for her. Of course, they worked, and we never had any other problems with them the rest of our trip. On the fourth day of our trip, the dishwasher malfunctioned. Maintenance was to our unit in ten minutes and fixed the problem. They were polite and friendly. We found all the service folk at the resort to be incredibly pleasant and accommodating!

In sum, our trip to Fairways of the Mountains was relaxing and enjoyable for a family getaway. While we would love to have had in-unit wifi and closer access to the amenities of the resort, the positives of the trip far outweighed those inconveniences. We would definitely recommend the resort to others and come back ourselves.

Room Tip: Be aware that B-side units have a long set of stays from a lower level to an upper-level loft/living...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank GeraldNissley
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My family spent a week in late April at the Fairways of the Mountains villas and were pleased with our stay. The rooms were clean and updated and offered most standard villa features. The bathrooms were not your high-end fixtures, but the over-sized beds were a treat. One drawback is that the only Wi-Fi connection is at the Rumbling Bald main office (see below).

You have to be ready for the fact that this resort isn't in the most convenient of locations for things like groceries or gasoline (closest supermarket is about 15 minutes away). We had access to the Rumbling Bald resort and the amenities at that location which is about a 5-10 minute drive from the room.

The views of the surrounding area are stunning. We played golf on both Apple Valley and Rumbling Bald and those courses lived up to their 4-star status. And reasonably priced!

We made the trip into Asheville on two separate occasions to visit the downtown and the Biltmore. As long as you have a little patience, the drives can be enjoyable. We even took an afternoon trip to Hendersonville to do some shopping at the historic district.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Rich K
Reviewed 9 May 2012

First I must saying I really like the peaceful setting of Lake lure.

The unit was clean and showed the signs of some updating, washer and dryer, new floor and paint, the deck/balcony had new wood. The unit was split on two floors Living space at the entry and 17 steps down opened to the kitchen, bathroom and Bedroom. The upstairs seemed so inconvenient we spent most of our time downstairs on the deck.

I knew before we traveled that it was not a Wyndham managed property and that most of the ammenties were only available at the Rumbling Bald Resort. There was a pool which open the day before we left only a few steps from our unit and a golf course.

I liked the setting but driving there was horrible. I live in a flat land area and although I do a lot of traveling to the mountains. I usually don't have a faint heart ,but, I caution you that most of the roads I encounter around Lake lure were narrow winding roads (most without guard rails). Driving was nerve racking and most locals we encountered said they didn't partially like the driving either.

A trip from our unit to the Rumbling Bald Resort (approx. 1/2 mile) toke more than twenty mins. The closest grocery store was 2 1/2 miles and toke about forty mins to get to. I don't think my vehicle saw more the 30 MPH and we made sure where ever we went we were back before dark.

We did the boat ride at the Rumbling bald Resort and the guide/captain was excellent she was knowledgeable and entertaining and the highlight of our trip.

Chimney rock over looks the lake and would have been nice to visit but with the elevator renovation going on, you would need to climb 400 + steps to reach it so we opted not to go.

I would have enjoyed the trip more if the resort had more to offer at the location we stayed. Rumbling Bald offered the indoor pool, boating, restaurants, beach, spa, exercise room golfing, tennis, and outdoor games.

Finally I want to say it was a nice place and the people were friendly but I don't know that the drive is worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank judylivestotravel
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Where do I start? The door was ajar when we arrived. Filthy carpet, sticky kitchen floor, and dusty vents greeted us, as did the damp, stuffy air. We adjusted the AC thinking that would alleviate the air issue, but by the next morning, the pilly sheets on the bed felt damp. We called and asked if we could be moved, only to be told that our time share company had to handle that. We were silly enough to think we could stick it out, but by mid-week, we were ready to check out and get a hotel. We would have to put our towels in the dryer in the morning so we didn't have to dry with damp towels after our showers, and even our clothes felt damp. Hoping to save our vacation and the money for a hotel room, we called again to ask for a dehumidifier; they said they could deoxidize the air, which did take all day, but we were already of a mind to be gone the entire day since the unit was so uncomfortable. There was a minimal improvement, but at least a bit. We did check out a day early and got a hotel. Even after two phone calls and the deoxidization process, no one ever called us or asked when we checked out if our unit had improved, nor was there any apology. We were enormously disappointed with the accomodations and the poor attitude of the management. It was evident that the furnishings and flooring had not likely been updated in some thirty years, but the quality of the air we breathed for almost a week was our biggest concern.

Stayed: May 2012
8.3 km away
Riverside Lodge at Chimney Rock
1.5 km away
Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains

Been to Fairways of the Mountains? Share your experiences!