“A Great Meal at the Mountianeer Restaurant!”

Mountaineer Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 43 Restaurants in Maggie Valley
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Home of the Million Dollar View you can't find a better place to dine with a Mountain View West of Asheville! We are open 7 days a week serving breakfast, lunch, & dinner! We serve everything from Rainbow Trout to Prime Rib to Meatloaf using Grandma's recipes of course! Stop by and see us today!
Reviewed 20 February 2007

The Mountaineer Restaurant is located on Soco Rd. (Hwy 19) just outside Maggie Valley, NC on the way to Cherokee, NC. The website is [--]

We had passed this restaurant a number of times on our way to Cherokee and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but had never thought of stopping. On our latest trip to Maggie Valley, however, we were watching the kids snow tubing at Tony's Tube World when a very nice woman handed me a menu for the restaurant. I put it in my pocket and promptly forgot about it while watching the kids.

Luckily, my wife found the menu and began reading...it was hilarious! An example is an appetizer called "Catfish Fins....'cause we all know they ain't got no fingers". Every item on the menu had a funny saying attached. It was enough to pique our curiosity, so we decided to try it.

They have everything from sandwiches to prime rib. It was lunch time so we went with sandwiches. We ordered a sampler appetizer called "I Can't Decide" which had jalapeno poppers, onion rings, stuffed & fried olives, and fried dill pickle spears. My favorite was the pickles. I had a philly sandwich & fries. It was great, and the fries were seasoned (not just fried and salted). My kids each had a cheeseburger with fries, and I really can't remember what my wife had. We all agreed, however, that the food was wonderful.

Our waitress was attentive, but not too much. And the atmosphere was a typical mountain setting, real fire in the stone fireplace, guitar standing beside it. I play, and they told me to feel free to play a tune (which I did).

The dining area overlooks the valley with a beautiful view, and it was snowing that day, which made it even more memorable.

Approximately $40 for the meal, including drinks, appetizers and our lunch.

We are making the Mountaineer Restaurant a tradition!

14  Thank BradMac