“Bringing Mexico City to you”
Review of La Rancherita - CLOSED

La Rancherita
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Reviewed 9 September 2015

Viva DF stands for "Distrito Federal" and shares the same owner as Totopos on Kildaire Farm Road. Viva DF has undergone a complete transformation from La Rancherita that used to occupy the same space located in the strip mall by Harris Teeter on Davis Drive. The Dia de Los Muertos skulls adorn the walls, a large and colorful mural of Mexico City takes up the back wall and then the illuminated bar displaying all of the liquor drinks is the focal point as you enter the restaurant. The tables are sleek and the decor makes this a very trendy and more upscale dining environment. I was able to make a reservation using Opentable and we checked in with the friendly hostess. We were offered seating inside or outside and we opted for inside.
Our server Felipe was so gracious, explained all of the ingredients and dishes with the proper pronunciation, and came back many times to check on us. He was very charismatic, outgoing and enthusiastic as he described the meaning behind the decor and story of Mexico City and the food. The menu was very simple with tacos, enchiladas, salads and a few other Mexican entrees. There were not too many choices and I like how it was simple yet very tasty and full of flavor. I loved the enchilada with the green sauce and the side of rice and black beans that came in small metal bowls. We also had the delicious guacamole and salsa as a starter and the tomatoes in the salsa were fresh from the vine and so large and juicy that you needed more than one chip to get a bite. I also had the Margarita Mercado and it was made fresh cucumber juice, grapefruit and tequila. Viva DF serves over more than 80 types of Tequila. I also learned that Tuesday is Tamale Tuesday with specials on the corn husk delicacies. The manager also came around to ask how we heard of Viva DF and also thanked us for our patronage. The water is refilled from fancy bottles and not just from plastic pitchers with ice. Even my to-go container was classy and Felipe wrote the name of the dish on it and a smiley face. My experience and meal at Viva DF was outstanding and I can't wait to come back and try out more items on their menu. Gracias!

Reviewed 11 August 2015

Another Mexican place. It felt like they rushed us the whole time to get us out. Both of us had steak fajitas. Food was good, but the salad mix (with sour cream) had a drizzle of sour cream and all that cheap lettuce. Yuck! The waitress never offered refills on drinks, we had to ask. Then asked for a to go cup for the drinks, and the lids did not fit too big. Never asked us if anything was okay. Just like pulling teeth to get our food right. Don't know if the girl was inexperienced or just had an attitude (Fabiola). Was NOT a good waitress. Icing on the cake and which made me leave this review....I got home and skimmed the receipt prior to trashing it. To add insult, she added in a Queso Mix charge of 1.50 to our order. We did not receive anything but 2 fajitas and an appetizer and 2 drinks. I figured out be more of service to update a few websites on this than to waste time and money going back for a 1.50. Thanks Fabiola! Guess you can add the 1.50 to the 5.00 I left you as a lunch tip. Pretty good for awful services rendered. This place is just a renter on the merry-go-round of restaurants in that building, so they are short-lived anyway....

Reviewed 12 July 2015

I live around the corner and this place was literally open on Wed and then closed on Friday. I new restaurant is slated to open before the end of July in the same location and work is going on daily..this was my go to take out locations and so it will be missed.

Reviewed 5 July 2015

closed. New restuarant with different name will open in same location. Wanted to meet family members for lunch approximately July 1st. 2015.

Reviewed 12 May 2015 via mobile

We stopped by nc to fly out on vacation. The hotel recommended a Mexican place, but it wasn't opened until dinner so we searched for an alternative. La Rancherita looked good! We got a free cheese dip for checking in on yelp, but that wasn't the best part. The ingredients were so fresh on our tacos! The meat on everyone's was well seasoned with a kick, and the service was great. My mom loved her marg. When we return, we will be sure to get the made at the table guacamole. Love love loved this place!

1  Thank shanx4