“Good Diner food at a good price”

Barney's Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 104 Restaurants in Mount Airy
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 7 October 2016

We stopped in during lunchtime and in our case it was not crowded mid week October. The menu is diner food so if you are looking for upscale or gourmet, this is not the place so set your expectations correctly. Service was gracious and when my wife was trying to decide between two entrees, the server went back and got her a small sample of both items to try out. Talk about service!

The price of our meals was very low and I probably could not have had the same meal at McDonalds for this price. The food was very good for diner food. I had a smothered cube steak, mashed potato and mac n cheese and was very satisfied. I then tried the peach cobbler and it also was great. My wife had their chicken pot pie (kind of a casserole vs a pie) and was delighted with it.

I went in expecting tourist food and came out saying I wish this place was close to me at home. Please go and try out some old fashioned diner comfort type food served graciously at a great price.

Just a note: Cash only, no cards accepted.

1  Thank ldwheels

Reviewed 28 September 2016

good foot, very crowded since it was during Mayberry days. We ate at the counter and had the pork chop sandwich. very tasty and tender.

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

My husband and I visited today and I'm glad I hadn't read the reviews before. We both ordered Barney Burgers and had a basket of fries. All of our food was freshly prepared and tasty. Our servers were prompt, courteous and most gracious. There was a side named cornbread casserole which I was curious about. Our waitress explained what it was and even bought me a sample. Delicious. Ground beef with veggies covered with a thin layer of cornbread. Then the cooks shared how to prepare it. OMG! Desserts are $2...what a deal! Our experience was mouth watering and we will return for a repeat. Nothing fancy but worth a try! One important fact I almost left out: this is where the locals eat which is always a good sign. My husband and I were the only "foreigners" in the restaurant.

1  Thank Jennifer and Ke... W
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Was great fun to visit this place for lunch. Good food and friendly people. Burgers, etc. Old nostalgic place.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

As always, great service, excellent meal choices and desserts. We were seated fast. Familiar staff faces are a plus!