“Weekend climbing course was a real confidence-booster”

Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: As the only climbing guide service in the Southeast accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association, Fox Mountain Guides and Climbing School offers guided rock and ice climbing trips throughout the region. Whether you are a family who wants to try something new and adventurous or an experienced climber who wants to climb the tallest rock face on the East Coast, we have programs to suit to everyone from complete novices to experts. Let Fox Mountain Guides take you higher!
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Doug and Pete got lots of climbing in for us on our two-day course, at a variety of climbing locations in the Pisgah. They were always patient and happy to break down skills for anchor-building, belaying, rappelling, and knot-tying, and encouraged each person at their own pace. Our group ranged from a first-time-climber to a couple who climbed indoors 2-3 times per week but had never climbed outside. Small class size gives each person a fair share of the guides' attention. Not a wasted minute during the whole weekend. Highly recommended for whatever level of climbing you're trying to reach.

All reviews
"great company"
in 4 reviews
"real rock"
in 5 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"climbing shoes"
"experience level"

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We had a wonderful day climbing at Looking Glass with Anthony. We had a family with two children (8 and 10) and Anthony was incredibly knowledgeable, encouraging and ensured safety. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I went out with guide Doug Lutz and had a brilliant experience climbing outside. Doug did a fantastic job teaching me the basics and allowed for me to pick what skills I wanted to focus on. He was incredibly patient, answered all my questions, and was an excellent teacher. Doug has a skill in explaining things fully yet simply. He also encouraged me to try routes outside my comfort zone which allowed me to practice movement I wouldn’t have done on my own. If you want to go out and learn a ton while having a blast I really recommend going out with Doug!

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

We booked a full day at Crowder's mountain with our instructor Anthony. He was knowledgeable and went above and beyond to help us on our way to learn how to setup anchors on our own. The climbs were fun and we learned a ton. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to begin outdoor climbing. We got a ton of good tips that will help us in the future.