“Fresh Sushi and Walking Distance from Convention Center”

Sono Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sono Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 1,537 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Davie St.
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I walked to Sono from my hotel which was next to the Convention Center. I had good service at the bar and enjoyed a salad with Ginger and two sushi rolls. The sushi was very fresh and the salad was more plentiful than I expected. The positive reviews by others are well earned. Great service and cold beer helped to complete the experience.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

The restaurant is very centrally located in the city. We went on a weekday for lunch. The food menu a bit limited. The best is the high quality of the food. We loved everything we tasted. Maybe we'll go back someday, for the quality of the raw fish, but very little choice of dishes.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Went for dinner with colleagues. The piano roll was fantastic. Salads looked great too and service was quick and friendly.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

My husband and I ate here at the sushi bar before a concert at Red Hat Amphitheater (walking distance) and will be back. The service was knowledgeable and professional. The menu had a little more than the usual sushi offerings and we enjoyed being told about the specials. The sushi chefs were also pleasant to talk with. Very good sushi, great service, nice atmosphere and walking distance to the concert! The prices were not cheap, but were worth the meal and environment.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Our recent visit treated us to some of the best, freshest sushi that we have had in Raleigh. Unfortunately it also treated us to some very inconsistent service. First the food. The sushi was thoughtfully prepared and presented. A chef's choice platter of nigiri and sashimi was excellent and it came with a delicious seaweed salad. The cocktails were also very good and I highly recommend the Japanese Mule (Sake & Ginger Beer) if you are into Mules.

The service started out fine with our server providing some suggestions on a specialty roll and did a nice job of explaining the types of fish that were on our platter. After that he kind of disappeared. I had to flag him down after some searching for another drink. Then he forgot to bring us our check and we had to flag down a hostess who had another waiter bring it to us. But it was a fairly busy Saturday night so I guess these things happen. Overall a very good meal and would definitely return.

Been to Sono Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!