“Lackluster food, service, atmosphere -- everything”
Review of Market Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Was eagerly anticipating our first visit to this popular new spot, awarded 4 stars by the N&O. What a complete disappointment. The atmosphere is noisy (not in a nice high-energy kind of way) and does nothing to enhance the dining experience. Our waitress, who was cute and perky, pestered us every 3 minutes to take our order.The crack fries were greasy but pretty good. That was the high point of the evening. I had the Duck Balls special and my husband the house salad. The duck balls were rubbery balls of mac & cheese and flavorless meat, the salad ordinary. I had the Prawns and Chorizo plate. Very small prawns, slightly overcooked, over grainy, flavor-lacking crumbled chorizo. My husband had the bluefish special, which was likewise only fishy so-so. The desserts were dreadful - -a completely stale chocolate cake and some waxy avocado gelato that was utterly inedible. To her credit, our server took note of the barely touched gelato and asked if we liked it. Everyone at the table pronounced it bad, to which she responded, "good to know!" and walked away. Not only did she not offer another dessert or to take the charge for that icky substance from our bill, she didn't even remove it from the table so that we could be spared its ugly green visage. I'm not sure where the folks who claim to like Market are actually eating. maybe we just hit them on a bad night, but in my book, when every single dish served was either ho-hum or horrible -- well, there are just too many GOOD places to eat in Raleigh to waste another meal here.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

Had lunch here and it was excellent. I had the pork tacos and they were fantastic. There was some smoke from the pork, a pit of sweetness from the sauce and some tang from the pickled veggie. Market is located on a one way street and the GPS was a bit off, however, Market was worth the extra effort. Thier food is local and you can tell that they put the extra effort into making their meals special.

3  Thank WoflpackFan
Reviewed 6 November 2010

There were no reviews on TA so I went to "Yelp" for reviews (which were enough to convince me to give the restaurant a go). We walked in and the place smells of all the various meals being cooked (open kitchen). Okay we put that aside. We sat down and ordered our meal. The waitress, who was cute and polite, took our order. I told her to make sure to save me a piece of pumpkin cheesecake for dessert and she said she would. She came back to the table as she forgot what my husband had ordered. Okay...we're all human although a pencil and pad do help. My husband got his soup which he liked. Then we waited and waited for approximately 25 minutes for our meals (he ordered a fish sandwich and I ordered the blackened tacos). People who sat down after us got served before us. The excuse we got was that everyone else ordered vegetarian meals. My meal was lackluster. Two skimpy pieces of sliced tofu on cabbage with some tomatoes and cold beans on the side. My husband's fish was okay. The fries were pretty greasy. The homemade ketchup wasn't anything resembling ketchup as most people know it.
My meal was not worth $8. I thought I could forgive the smell, the forgetful waitress, the long wait and the mediocre meal if the cheesecake was good. Guess what? Another server came over to apologize because there is no cheesecake. My husband asked for the whoopie pie or the chocolate pudding and they were out of both of those (note there are only four items listed on the menu). We were there at midday on a Saturday.
We will never go back nor will we suggest this establishment to anyone.