“First Time Visit Will Unfortunately Be My Last!”
Review of Piccola Italia

Piccola Italia
Ranked #230 of 1,538 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Locally family owned and operated since 1982. Serving traditional Italian dishes, along with fresh salads, soups, sandwiches and hand-tossed NY Style pizza. We have an extensive wine list and a selection of beers and hard cider. Offering a cozy, relaxed atmosphere for dinner with the family, date night or a business luncheon.
Reviewed 25 May 2017

This restaurant is located in a popular shopping area very close to where I work. I rarely go out for lunch and since I follow a low carb lifestyle, I decided to give this place a try. I looked at their menu online and ordered a antipasto salad with a side of meatballs. The meatballs were in a tomato sauce and were pretty good. But there were only two of them for the price of $5.00! The salad on the other hand is another story! While it looked like I would be having leftovers for lunch tomorrow, by the time I picked out the bad lettuce pieces (including several pieces of large lettuce stems), there was hardly any left. What was also disappointing was the fact that the meat on top consisted of two small slices of deli ham rolled up with cheese and one small piece of salami! The majority of this salad wound up in the trash! Needless to say I will not be going back to Piccola! The two stars represent the two meatballs!!

3  Thank toujourdb92

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Dined myself and two family members. All of us happy with salads, Italian entrees and desserts. The problem was as the evening went on the time between visits to our table by the wait staff got longer and longer... Fifteen minutes to get the dessert menus once finished with entrees. Twenty minutes to come back for dessert order. Twenty-five minutes(!) to get check once desserts finished. Very tasty offerings at fair prices but one better be ready for "leisurely" dining.

Natasha T, Manager at Piccola Italia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Thank you for bringing our issue with service to our attention. This is not our usual way of serving our customers. In the restaurant business you can take a guess at how busy you may be that shift and staff accordingly, however you really never know for sure what will happen. Unfortunately, we may have been understaffed that evening, which would have caused the delay in service. We hope you will accept our apology for having to wait so long and we will take a second look at how we schedule our team.

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

When visiting Raleigh from Kansas City, Friday nights wouldn't be the same without a pizza from Piccola Italia. This locally owned, Italian family run restaurant is about as authentic as you can get. The sauce on the pizza is fantastic and toppings as simple as just plain cheese or pepperoni is moth watering and what keeps us coming back for more than 30 years.

Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

My first time in Raleigh! This has been such a wonderful eating experience. Everything was fresh and bursting with flavor!

From left to right:
The Gladiator Pizza in Large (fed 3 people), Garlic knots with mozzarella, Calamari, and lastly, but never forgotten, Tiramisu for desert. As you can see it's in a to-go container because I am way too full!

All was splendidly delicious and super affordable!

Reviewed 13 March 2017

Eaten here many times had no problems but and would have given the restaurant a rating of 4 but felt readers needed to know about my latest experience. I was having lunch with a friend and she noticed a metal looking piece in her Angel Hair Pasta. It wasn't a hard metal and you could bend it easily but still it was in her food. When we told the waiter he apologized and replaced her dish but he acted like it was no big deal. I think they should have at least give her food for free.

The other thing is we ordered pasta with fresh mushrooms and tomato sauce. But when we got our meal the mushrooms were canned not fresh! This is inexcusable in my opinion. We didn't say anything to the waiter but if you are say fresh mushrooms they should be fresh.

Overall the food was good but restaurant needs to be graded appropriately. Don't know if I will be back or not.

Natasha T, Manager at Piccola Italia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Hi Don,
I would like to apologize for the bad experience that you had with us recently. The metal that you found was most likely from a scouring pad that we use to wash our pots and pans. If that pot was not properly rinsed off it may have left a bit of the scouring pad. I know that sounds awful and we have spoken with our kitchen staff and stressed the importance of proper washing procedures. As for the mushrooms, we use only fresh mushrooms both on our pizzas and pasta dishes. We do however first steam the mushrooms that are used in our pasta dishes. This may be why you felt as though they appeared to be canned mushrooms. I sincerely apologize for your experience and would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention. Should you choose to dine with us again I would like for your meal to be on us. You may email me at ncpiccolaitalia@gmail.com with your address and I will be happy to send you a gift card.