“Loud--make sure you don't want to talk to anyone at your table”

Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Reserve with OpenTable
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,542 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We had reservations for a family dinner on a busy Saturday night. We're not often all together in the same place these days so was hoping to catch up on family news, etc. No question that the steaks and food in general is excellent. Service was also good. However we were seated at one of the round tables near the center and literally couldn't hear anything the person across the table was saying even if they were yelling. This restaurant is uber expensive-- so won't be back unless I hear that they have remodeled and become less noisy.

1  Thank sierradog1

Reviewed 15 May 2018

A lovely experience for my daughter's graduation celebration. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The cheesesteak egg rolls were a delicious starter. Everyone in our party of 5 tried a different steak cut and all were excellent. I prefer my fillet a true medium and it was cooked perfectly. The sides are shareable but really only serve 2 people. My daughters loved the molten chocolate dessert by my husband and I preferred the bananas foster bread pudding.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Our group of 10 also celebrated on the night of May 12 my daughter and her boyfriend's pending graduation from Duke. We had 7:00 reservations and were seated early. The waiter and his staff were awesome, friendly, focused, vigilant--- responding to our every want. The steaks (each of us had steaks) were excellent, perfectly cooked. Many said the steaks were the best they had ever eaten. The salads were good; the sides added flavor to the meal. Our desserts were excellent.
Because three large universities were holding graduations that weekend, the restaurants in town were packed (I got reservations 9 months before). Sullivan's was very busy, but all of the diners seemed to be enjoying their evening. Our servers didn't miss a beat. All I heard for the next day was what a wonderful dinner we had.

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We went to Sullivan’s on Saturday night, May 12th to celebrate the college graduation of three of our cousins. A group of 14 of us. We had reservations for 8:30. We were not seated in our private reserved room till 9 or thereafter.
We had a lovely dinner ...until time for dessert. About 12 of us ordered the Black Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. After some time we received what look like a Little Debbie brownie sprinkled with powdered sugar and some syrup. Once I put my fork into what looked like a brownie but I expected to taste like a cake, I didn’t get either - a cake taste or brownie. Rather it was a soggy, cold pudding type chocolate dessert that had a strange taste. I looked around after a few minutes and noticed that none of my family was eating their “cake”’. We started to ask each other about what we thought about the cake. And we all agreed that it was the strangest cake ever with a nasty taste. We began to wonder what this dessert really was and quickly came to the conclusion this was not a Black Velvet Cake. When the waiter came back in our room to start passing out the checks, I asked “Is this black velvet cake.” And the waiter sheepishly said “oh, you caught me.” A little surprised I inquired further. He went on to say that they ran out of Black velvet cake and this was the only chocolate option. I asked him “why didn’t you just tell us you were out and give us another option?” I explained to him that it was very disconcerting to be intentionally served a dessert we did not order and to only learn of it when I “caught you”. Why this deception?”

At this point he offered us other desserts but by this time were bothered by the fact that they had tried to fool us into believing we were receiving the black velvet cake and hoped we didn’t notice. I refused the offer for another dessert stating that “his offer would have been great before this chocolate goo fiasco”

The manager came in shortly to apologize for the “mix up” on the desserts. I spoke up and stated that this was not a mix up. This was an intentional decision on the part of their staff to bring us desserts we did not order and hoped we wouldn’t notice. Further when I suggested to the manager that the dessert we received didn’t even seem like it was fully cooked. The manager goes on to describe the fact that the dessert we received was really only a “portion of another” dessert they make with some chocolate lava. He basically said that they used the topping of another dessert (a “portion of a dessert” is how he described it) and gave us just the top.
So not only did we not receive what we ordered we were served only a portion of a dessert and yet were being charged for a whole dessert -$8.00.
It was absurd and insulting. We did indeed ask the manager to not only take the dessert which was nasty and uneaten by most of our party off of the bill but to provide a deeper discount.

The manager ended up taking 10 percent off the whole bill after apologizing again. We could not understand and never received a satisfactory explanation for why the kitchen would bother to serve us a portion of a dessert, sprinkled with powdered sugar and try to pass it off an uncooked, small sized brownie (which was really only the top of another dessert) as a Black Velvet Cake and think we would not notice. It was bizarre. We had to wonder where was the pride in maintaining their brand or in their pride in serving high quality food. It’s not like they brought out one poorly made dessert it was at least 12 of them.

Thus I would not recommend this Sullivan’s and I do wonder overall how corporate trains their staff to handle situations like this. What pressures are their staff feeling where they would make a decision such as this rather than offer us another dessert
option?

1  Thank Diane B
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

We made reservations for our 30th wedding anniversary and were immediately seated. They welcomed us with rose petals on the table and all wished us a Happy Anniversary. Our waiter was fantastic and started us off with a wonderful wine selection he picked for us. He was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and helped us select the perfect steak and sides. Food was super. Maitre de checked on us several times. We recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting a delicious steak and to be well taken care of!

Been to Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh? Share your experiences!