“Great sushi, great service, cool vibe”
Review of Sushi Blues

Sushi Blues
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Blues is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #207 of 1,514 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$1 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Glenwood Ave in Raleigh is full of great restaurants and bars, we really like hanging out here when we're in town. If you haven't tried Sushi Blues, you should. Casual environment with cool blues playing, nice drink selection with several good local beers represented and an awesome sushi a la carte menu. All rolls are BOGO which makes a pretty good deal. Classic rolls and nigiri mixed with some interesting and fun combos (check out their Hot! rolls) - make sure you try the Wolfpack roll - Go Pack!

Reviewed 3 November 2017

This is definitely not the best sushi you will get in Raleigh. The prices are also not that great. They do have a nice atmosphere with plenty of patio seating.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I have never had good service at Sushi Blues but the dinner I had a couple of weeks ago was honestly awful. My friend and I had to sit at the bar and we then had wait over 10 minutes before we even got menus. The bartender ended up being our waiter and was honestly the rudest person I have ever met. Even though we repeatedly asked for water, it never arrived. He never asked to get us new drinks. Probably the worst part of the meal was watching a COCKROACH crawl over the bar and the bartender did nothing about it even though all of the patrons were screaming. Finally, it took us over 20 minutes to get our checks even though I watched the bartender talk to his friends at the end of the bar. I will never be returning and I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I loved the sushi. Very unique and vegetarian options as well. Nice price too with nice wine and beer selection! My new favorite!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This was my first visit to Sushi Blues. I've been wanting to get there for a few months. I went with a group of 6/7 people on a Saturday night. I loved the outdoor area--it gives great vibes, perfect street view of cars, walking traffic, and other stores! I also loved the tables and lantern/heaters for cold weather. It's pretty perfect for a date night or girls' night or downtown night out.

The inside, however, is a different story! We ate outside, but we waited briefly at the bar for the rest of our party. It was packed inside. The tables are along the walls with a booth side and a chair side, from what I remember. And 1 larger/group booth area near the bathroom. I'm not sure if there is another side of customer seating on the other side of the bar that I couldn't see. The bathrooms are only single-occupant bathrooms--one for women; one for men. When we first arrived, I went in the women's bathroom: no pocketbook holder, no paper towels, pools of water on the floor with soaked tissue--I have no idea how this happened. I don't know if there was a leak or a spill. After dinner, we all made a trip to the bathroom, and of course there was a line so some of us ladies decided to use the men's bathroom since it became available first; it was the same with water on the floor, but at least there were paper towels. My friend who went in the women's bathroom told me there was water all over the floor, so it hadn't been cleaned since we first arrived. The bathrooms were one of my least favorite parts about this restaurant.

I only eat cooked sushi, so my options are limited of course. This is BOGO sushi, so of course I ordered 2 rolls since I'd never been. I tried the Carmen (pretty much a shrimp tempura roll) and the Fire & Ice (still tempura shrimp, but with roasted jalapeno). The rolls were just okay. I did like the Carmen roll better, but it wasn't extra special. It didn't capture my taste buds, it just tasted better than the other roll. I also didn't taste any spicy mayo with my Fire & Ice roll--just jalapeno spice. I had a shrimp dumpling that someone else ordered, and it was good and hot--I could eat that again. But the sushi didn't impress me.

Because this is BOGO sushi, they don't split the check; they do some weird thing where there's only 1 check for the whole table and they take off all the cheaper rolls; or at least I think that's what happened; I'm still not sure exactly what went down, but it took us probably half the time we were there to figure out how we were all supposed to pay for our food. I think this is typical with BOGO sushi restaurants and I'm not at all surprised that I had no clue what was going on, but everyone else at my table seemed to be confused too. So I had a $14 roll and a $13 roll, but some of my fellow diners had $7 rolls, so the $7 rolls were definitely free, and I guess we all just split the rest of the bill---I really don't know how the h*** it works. Some people had drinks plus appetizers, plus actual meals, but we all just wrote names beside what we ordered and put all our cards in the bill folder. Then the waitress finally came and got less than 10 steps away before she had to come back to the table and ask questions and I don't know what happened but my receipt says I was charged $14 which would be BOGO for my rolls, so yea...like that...

I would still go back again because I love the vibe outside; I love the view. Next time, I'll try the food & drinks, not the sushi. Hopefully, this will cut down on how long it takes to pay for the bill too. I'm definitely going to try to avoid the bathroom! The sushi is also cheaper than my regular sushi spot, although the taste & presentation don't compare. I still recommend this place for the scene. If you're drunk, the rest won't even matter.

Been to Sushi Blues? Share your experiences!