See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I must say, that on arrival, La Veranda was not quite what I expected, aside from the fact that Mino, who was so wonderful responding to questions and concerns before arrival, was at the door very late at night to greet my husband and me and show us to our room. My husband and I found our room, with veranda, reasonably comfortable, but a bit small. Breakfast on our first morning was a delight. This family run b&b definitely exudes warmth and the array of offerings on the long dining table were broad....some items homemade and others, like the jams and honey, were of a high standard. On the first morning cannolis were the pastry du jour....and were the best of our stay. In addition to the warmth, it was clear that Mino was eager to accommodate his guests. Part of that accommodation was his willingness to assist with travel plans and recommendations. While he was not fluent in English, as other reviewers have suggested, no guests during my stay were challenged in terms of communication for two reasons. Most people had at least a basic sense of Italian, and, moreover, Mino and the guests all seemed to keep smart phones at the ready for translation roadblocks.
Each of the rooms is different as this is an older building, not a purpose built hotel. The room where my husband and I stayed was probably the most typical hotel room. For a longer stay, though, as ours was, I would have preferred the room....essentially an apartment....on the ground floor, which was more spacious. (I never did quite figure out how the room(s) worked which had the winding staircase up to the breakfast room.)
As far as location, there was not much to the neighborhood, but my husband and it found it walking distance to most of the key places in Trapani....certainly to the cable car for Erice, as well as to the harbor area. Additionally there is an interesting old cemetery in the opposite direction from the main street. La Veranda was certainly a good base for exploring the area and without doubt I would stay there again on a return visit.

Room Tip: For shorter stays, the room with veranda.... For longer stays, request the apartment on the ground floor with kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimi0352
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The B&B is situated halfway between the port and the cable car for Erice, but maybe a bit far to walk to either however there is free street parking outside. Our large comfortable room overlooked the street with a small balcony and was very quiet. The owner Mino spoke little English but we all managed fine and he helpfully recommended a couple of excellent local restaurants which we walked to in the evenings, with barely a tourist in sight! Breakfast was generous and included several local specialities which it was great to try.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

La Veranda is in a 20th-century building with an old-world feel. The room is large and comfortable, quiet, well-furnished and with everything we needed. The WiFi signal was good. As another review noted, you walk out of the bedroom into a short corridor to get to the bathroom, but the corridor is closed off from the rest of the place by a door, so it's very private. Free parking was available on the street right outside the B&B. What makes this place a gem is the host, Mino, who seems to manage the B&B for his parents. I speak Italian, so it was a pleasure to hear about his grandfather building the place, the business of running a B&B, the town & province of Trapani, and lots of other things. Mino drove us around so we could see the sights of the town, then dropped us off so we could explore the pedestrians-only historic center. He gave us a map and repeated directions as well as instructions to call him if we needed a ride back to the B&B. We decided to go to a restaurant he had recommended near the B&B, which was a great experience. In the morning, Mino had set out a feast for breakfast, including both sweet and savory foods and freshly squeezed juice from oranges he had just picked from a friend's tree. Mino made sure we had information about what to see on our way to our next stop, where to eat, where to get the best oranges, and how to get out of town and back to the highway. He even helped us put water into the windshield washer tank, which the rental company had neglected to do when we got the car. This is really a great place to stay in an area filled with interesting things to see and do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jct263
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here for five nights in October while we were exploring the area. Mino is a great host, non-intrusive but delighted to help with advice and restaurant recommendations. The house is a home. Our room and bathroom were large and quiet. The B&B is just outside the old city, which was perfect for us. It felt like living in a community, with easy access to local restaurants and shops. Breakfast was delicious and huge - enough for lunch on our excursion days.

Mino is working on his English but we're working on our Italian. Communication was not a problem, in fact, Mino was good at anticipating our needs before we asked.

Highly recommended as a base when you're in Trapani.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 359kateh
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was my favourite B&B out of five I stayed in. For €30 pppn in late Sept, we had a lovely room with high ceilings and good bathroom. The owner, who runs the B&B with his grandfather, serves a good breakfast of either sweet cakes and cornetti (filled croissants typical of the area) or savoury food such as fresh filled foccaccia. We stayed two nights and on one morning had both savoury and sweet breakfast on the table and two good cups of cafe latte each.
It is about a mile from the rail and bus stations. We were offered help on tourism details and the owner gave us a lift to the station with our luggage on the last morning. Altogether a lovely experience of staying with local people,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple