“Always excellent ”

Smithfields Chicken & Barbecue
Ranked #50 of 110 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner tonight at this Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ in Southern Pines. Since I travel a lot, I have eaten at probably half of the 30-some locations across North Carolina. And consistently the pork barbecue and fried chicken are excellent.

Contrary to some other reviews on this particular site, this is a specialty restaurant. You would not go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and order chicken, so why would you come to a chicken and barbecue place and order shrimp? Yes it's on the menu but I have never eaten them and never will. I love the barbecue and chicken too much.

As far as the reviewer who said they don't serve barbecue, I question if that person even ate here. The pulled pork barbecue cooked in a traditional eastern North Carolina style is consistently wonderful. They only offer one sauce and that is the vinegar-based eastern North Carolina sauce on the table so you can apply as much as you want. If you want a tomato based or mustard-based BBQ sauce then this is not for you.

I agree that the hush puppies are just so so but I enjoy the barbecue and chicken, so I don't even really want to eat the hush puppies after all that food.

I have never had a bad meal at Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ after eating at them for well over eight years. And the servers are always polite and anxious to help refill your tea and bring you anything you need.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Visited this restaurant for the first time during a recent visit to NC. Thought I would enjoy the shrimp platter. Not!!! I really wish I had thought to take a picture of what they called fried shrimp. More like shrimp crumbs. Oh my goodness. They were the tiniest shrimp I have seen in ages. They were the size that you place in a cheaply priced soup.

Such a waste of my time and money! I don't know if I'll ever go back there again.

Very disappointing.

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

This is a nice quiet quality place for the amount of food and free refills that you receive apon dining in. Service is quick and super friendly! Very nice place!!

Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

A great drove by....fast, efficient and delicious. This place is a staple for us. The barbeque is quality amd dependable.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

The staff provided excellent customer service. From the moment I walked in the door, I was greeted with warm smiles. I was disappointed in the value of the food because the chicken was not cooked well.The barbecue tasted ok. In addition, all of the sides were stacked on the plate which made the presentation of the dish look less appealing.

In my opinion, the sides should have been placed in a separate container. Meal was served on a styrofoam plate in which plastic utensils were provided. Unfortunatelyy, I did not enjoy the food as much as I enjoyed talking to the employees. I gave this restaurant an excellent review due to customer service but the quality and value of the food did not meet my expectation.