“Save your money”

Panther's Run Golf Links
Ranked #10 of 20 things to do in Sunset Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Panther's Run Golf Links was born to be a different breed of golf. Winding its way throughout a pristine nature preserve, this magnificent Tim Cate design is one of The Grand Strand's all-time favorite layouts. Now featuring new MiniVerde greens, this gorgeous Big Cat is groomed to perfection and ready to help you go on the hunt for some birdies!
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

Winter kill on the greens have left the course unplayable. Nice facility and really nice staff but this comes short of making ng up for the course conditions.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Panther's Run. As I'm sure you are aware by now, our area was devastated by the extreme winter conditions of the past several months (the coldest in the last 38 years, including an ice storm that left our greens frozen solid for several days) and golf courses with bermuda greens were especially hard hit. The problem has been so widespread in our region that the Myrtle Beach Area Golf Course Owners Association recently held an emergency seminar, inviting superintendents and course operators to come together and share their experiences and ideas. Top agronomists from NC State and Clemson were present to make recommendations as well. The consensus was there there is little that can be done to prevent some degree of damage to bermuda grass under such extreme conditions. We did come away with some ideas that we will incorporate into our practices, but hopefully it will be another 4 decades before we see weather conditions like this again! In the mean time, we have completely sodded 3 of the most damaged greens and have applied a significant amount of specialized greens grade granulars and liquid fertilizer to all the greens to get them to break dormancy and begin to green up. Most importantly, in the past two weeks, the weather has finally improved and soil temperatures have been consistently warm enough to spur some growth in the bermuda! I very much appreciate your comment about our staff, as they have been working diligently to try to accommodate our guests in the best possible manner during this difficult period. Hopefully you were offered the option of a free replay or the opportunity to move your round to our top tier course, Leopard's Chase (we have bentgrass greens there) at no additional charge. If you don't mind, would you contact me directly at blong@oceanridge.com to discuss this matter further and I will see what I can do to help. No one was more upset and disappointed by the condition of our bermuda courses than the staff, management and ownership of Ocean Ridge Plantation and we are resolved to take whatever measures possible to satisfy our guests until this difficult period has passed. We are optimistic that all four Big Cats Courses will once again be in excellent condition in the coming weeks. Thank you again for your patience and understanding. Bill Long

All reviews
"challenges"
"facility"
"week"

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

They have lost their greens to winter kill. The layout is nice, but it was impossible to putt well. The cart paths need attention as well. I think some of my fillings were jarred loose. Call ahead before booking to inquire about the greens.

Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. You are correct, like most of the bermuda greens courses in our area, Panther's Run took a beating from the coldest winter this region has experienced in 38 years. The problem has been so widespread that the Myrtle Beach Area Golf Course Owners Association held a special meeting recently, bringing together local golf course superintendents and managers, along with top agronomists from NC State and Clemson to discuss their experiences and to try to come up with a list of best practices going forward to help reduce the affects of such a historically severe winter. We participated in this seminar and some good ideas and information were shared. The consensus however was that, in such extreme circumstances, there is little any bermuda greens golf course can do to completely prevent a certain amount of damage. Our hope is that it will be another 38 years (if ever) before we have to deal with anything like this again!! I hope your group was offered options, such as moving to Leopard's Chase (bengtgrass greens) or getting a free replay, etc. We have been proactively trying to address any and all concerns with all our guest this spring. We have taken whatever measures necessary to attempt to satisfy our guests and make provisions for the sub-par condition of the greens. As for the cart paths, they were all scheduled to be resurfaced this year and that is still the plan, despite the huge loss of revenue and tremendous addition expense related to the unexpected winter conditions. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to earn your business and trust.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Facility and staff were top notch and we were warned beforehand that the greens were not up to par... They were AWFUL...'Winter Kill' they called it...We would definitely play here again with the hope that the greens recovered...We did enjoy ourselves despite the putting...The sign on the first tee about alligators is TRUE...We encountered several.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

I played this course recently with a group of members from a local North Myrtle Beach club. The condition of the practice range is an embarrassment and the range ball are so dead they hardly fly. Tee boxes are poor and fairways need serious attention. Greens are uneven with multiple kinds of grasses growing in them. And lastly, the cart paths are a serious hazard and in need of complete renovation. This course has not kept up a reasonable level of course maintenance and at best should only be considered if no other choices are available. The pricing structure does not warrant anyone considering this course. There simply is no excuse for playing this course until the place is closed for full renovation.

1  Thank 721jim
Bill L, Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and we sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. We also want to let you know we have taken measures to address many of the issues you mention. Our cart paths are undergoing an extensive renovation on Panther's Run and Lion's Paw and we have also taken measures to improve any weak areas throughout the courses. We hope you will return soon and see the ongoing improvements for yourself.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Reserved a tee time for me and my brother-in-law. We needed to rent clubs so I inquired about needing to rent them when I made the reservation the day before. They had two options, a newer set for $40/player, and older sets for $27/player. I specified that I would take two older sets, RH Mens. Our tee time was 8:20 am. Upon checking in the next morning, was told that they did not have any $27 sets available because they had already rented out their only set! Why was I not told that on the phone when I made the reservation that they only had one $27 set! Therefore, we were forced to rent the $40 sets. As well, the guy at the pro shop was extremely rude during this whole process. Plus, the $40 "good" sets where crap Callaway Strata sets. Regarding the course, the tee box and fairways were in bad shape, weeds and hard dirt. The greens were in ok shape, and the layout was fair. I will not be playing this course again, don't waste your time and money.

1  Thank dmalobicky
Bill L, General Manager at Panther's Run Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

We would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to make us aware of your unsatisfactory experience at Panther's Run. It is only through such constructive feedback that we can address issues as they arise, as we strive to continue to improve our operation. We also thank you for choosing to play one of The Big Cats courses recently. Regarding your comment about course conditions, the summer months are "off season" for golf courses in our region (Spring and fall are peak times) for several reasons. Paramount are weather conditions, namely the often extreme heat and lack of rain we can experience in summer months. Such conditions are not at all conducive to keeping golf course conditions at their very best. In fact, we are currently faced with a drastic shortage of water, which makes it extremely difficult to maintain desired irrigation practices. Therefore, we have to ration our water, with greens being at the top of the priority list. Because of this, fairway and tee box conditions can sometimes be less than we desire in such extreme circumstances. This is the main reason our rates are up to 70% lower in the summer than in peak seasons. Even so, I want to sincerely apologize that your group experienced these less than ideal course conditions during your recent visit.
With that being said, I also want to apologize for the confusion regarding rental club options. We have a limited number of sets available to rent each day and do not, by practice, reserve specific sets prior to check-in. They are basically available on a first come first served basis. As is the nature of our business, in the summer months, with unsecured tee times, we often have several no-shows on any given day and cannot therefore hold particular rental sets in anticipation of them being used by a certain group. This practice is just not feasible for our operation. It is our policy to tell golfers who inquire about rental clubs that we have a limited number of sets available and that they range in price from $27-$40, based on availability. It seems this message was not effectively conveyed to you during your reservation call, and for that I also apologize.
Our staff have certain policies and job parameters they must work within, but this should be accomplished in a positive and helpful manner and we certainly never want to be rude or disrespectful to any of our valued guests.
Again, I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit and I would like to ask that you to contact me personally to discuss this situation further, to see if we can reach a satisfactory resolution. Please email me at your convenience at blong@oceanridge.com.

Bill Long