See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 March 2015

We chose to stay in Tarboro as an alternative to a chain hotel on I 95 and were rewarded with a delightful experience at the Main Street Inn. The inn has been beautifully restored by Denise and Stuart Sanderson. It has beautiful high ceiling public spaces, which undoubtedly make it very comfortable in the warmer weather (although it was a bit cool in winter). Our room was spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very attractive, with a large walk-in shower. Breakfast was exceptionally creative and delicious. Denise is a very welcoming hostess with endless energy and she made our visit a special one. Staying at the Main Street Inn makes the 20 mile drive east from Rocky Mount more than worth the detour. We look forward to returning!

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank VoyageursUSA
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our second visit here. We have stayed here on our way up North from FL. Very nice, clean, good location, but it is about 10 m from I95. New bathrooms this time and they have done a nice job on the refurbishment.The owners are very gracious. A perfect stop. A beautiful town.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The Main St Inn and its location in Tarboro, NC is as pure a spirit of old America you will find in North Carolina - which have many examples of heritage.
Denise Sanderson is the ultimate Southern chic with a hint of femme fatale -
Room 5 is my favorite and sitting outside on a rocking chair drinking champagne the essence of great memories and dreams.

Room tip: If you're in the mood for a romantic bubble bath and a room with fabulous ambiance, room 5 is the one - all the other rooms are beautiful.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank LEILANE V
Reviewed 29 April 2013

When you stay at the Main Street Inn, you feel as though you are stepping back in time. This was a perfect choice for us, since we were in Tarboro to dedicate a monument to one of my partner's ancestors (who was one of the town founders).

Our hostess, Denise, greeted us warmly and showed us to a room with hardwood floors, plantation shutters, and a high wooden bed with a white comforter and duvet. There was a flat screen in the room, but it was on top of an antique wardrobe/slash bookcase, so it was unobtrusive and didn't spoil the effect. Except for the pedestal sink, the bathroom was more modern, marble throughout, with a walk-in shower.

Later, we all sat on the beautiful front porch on rocking chairs or the porch swing, sipping wine and relaxing in true southern style.

The next morning we were treated to a truly amazing breakfast!

I was tempted to give The Main Street Inn five stars; but I didn't want my review to draw the wrong crowd. You know the type. People who expect coffee at 9 pm or extra pillows at midnight. This is not that sort of place. This is more like staying with friends or relatives who happen to live in an extraordinarily spacious and beautiful house.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Main Street Inn is hosted by Denise Sanderson who epitomizes the Southern grace and charm you read about in "Southern Living" magazine. Yeah readers, it really does exist- in the small historic town of Tarboro, NC. She hosted my daughter's wedding today, with literally three day's notice. My daughter stayed in room 5 on the third floor. The room was spacious; the king-sized bed was huge with a cozy soft comforter included. The bathroom was elegant, a good mix of "old-timey" style and modern convenience. I was told the breakfast was delicious, with their own adaptations of familiar items.
The Inn is a very large historic house that has been restored to pristine condition. As Denise describes it, she strives for "simplistic elegance". She and her husband have achieved that goal! Despite the high ceilings and the undraped windows (original glass 6 ft or more tall), the downstairs rooms have a cozy, homey feel. The fireplaces are an extra bonus!
The reception was flawless! It is beyond my comprehension how Denise and her husband, Stuart, can prepare the excellent appetizers & dishes with such elegant presentation and attentively serving the guests' requests. I cannot think of a single suggestion that would have made the wedding reception better.

I highly recommend the Main Street Inn. It's a refreshing change from the sterile chain motels that clutter the expressways. Main Street Inn in Tarboro, NC (population 10,000 or so) is a quick side trip from the hectic I-95 "rat race"! It's a "by-ways" adventure worth exploring. I think you'll love it!

Date of stay: December 2012