“Best meal we had in OBX”

Watermen's Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Waves
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 18 September 2021 via mobile

I was initially opposed to eating here. Picnic tables and counter service didn’t appeal to me with their prices of entrees. However, finding restaurants nearby where we were staying that were actually open on our trip was a huge challenge, so our final night we gave this a try. Best meal we had in the outer banks, hands down! The crab stuffed mushrooms was enormous and delicious app. My husband had the surf and turf, and I had the tuna, which I didn’t realize even came with a crab cake on top! Both were delicious! Others in our party were impressed by the ribs. While the setting/ building is still sort of odd, it’s great that it’s on the water and you can watch the kite boarders. Service was also wonderful- give this place a try!

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank Arkatini
Write a reviewReviews (405)

Reviewed 29 August 2021 via mobile

Big plus is outside dining for COVID (no one wears masks down here- idiots. Bugs were terrible. NO PRICES POSTED ANYWHERE so we had to ask which is embarrassing. Food was mixed. Blackened tuna was good. Fajitas were TERRIBLE. Chicken was so dry it was inedible. Waitress was tired, bored, inattentive. We got one napkin and she saw us and didn’t offer another one. Then walked by and said “wanna beer?”

Date of visit: August 2021
1  Thank Marktheshark027
Reviewed 28 August 2021 via mobile

We were looking for covid friendly options for two families (didn’t want crowded indoor dining) and were able to get an outdoor table. Fun ambience with kite surfing and sunset. Food was super “eh” for the price and bad service. You have to go in and order your food and drink. They wouldn’t give my husband both of our beers (said I needed to come in and prove I was there) but gave our friend both of their beers to one person. Service not great. Asked two waitresses (who asked if we needed anything) for water and never got any. Asked and waited without result for a take out container at end of meal. Could be bc we hit it at end of night (they stop all service at 8pm) but we agreed food was nothing special for price. We got much better food for less at food trucks even. Also bugs terrible here! Which was weird bc we never experienced bugs anywhere else - even at our beachfront home - all week. One plus though is the covid safe option to eat outside.

Date of visit: August 2021
1  Thank vacationgrl2010
Reviewed 13 August 2021

Drove into town for some kiting, but thought I would stop at the Waterman's for a bite to eat first. The staff was very friendly and provided me with some great intel concerning the area. Got a seat at the picnic tables and enjoyed a good burger. Since the wind hadn't come in yet, there were alot of flies buzzing around. Was hoping to kite at Real, but couldn't because I wasn't staying there or taking lessons. They should offer a day pass for people who just want to launch and recover from Real.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 31 July 2021 via mobile

We actually decided not to eat here. Even though this place looked great from the outside...it had no inside seating. We walked in and were told we had to order at the bar and then set outside. The menu was posted outside the door for you to look at, but had no prices on anything.

Date of visit: July 2021