“I’m going to have cravings for that breakfast! ”
Review of The Basics

The Basics
Ranked #27 of 732 Restaurants in Wilmington
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

It was a Sunday morning, and we wanted brunch, bad. As we strolled by we decided to try out The Basics. It was busy and we had to wait for about 15 minutes for a table, but busy usually means it’s good. We got in and seated at the bar counter. The service was quick, and the food awesome! We both cleaned our plates. We had the crab cake eggs Benedict..... and holy yum! So good! I will be back for more.

1  Thank Claira K

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We had to wait about 15 minutes but it was a nice lunch. Wide variety on menu. Food was good and freshly prepared. Good location at cotton exchange. Can park on street in front of restaurant. Then afterwards we walked around at shops nearby.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

The friends who we were visiting in Wilmington suggested we dine here and it didn't disappoint. Great souther-style cooking with great variations on seafood, chicken and meat dishes. Both the meatloaf and smoked chicken entree's (with greens, of course), were phenomenal.

1  Thank hoffmanter
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I've been resident in the USA for two years now and despite eating out on a fairly regular basis, I can't say I've ever truly enjoyed a meal, nor felt like I was a guest rather than something to be processed on a conveyor belt... until now.
The food was excellent and very good value. I asked for my salmon to be just a little pink inside and it was; the asparagus squeaked as you ate it (a far cry from the usual limp soggy salt laden affairs I've seen everywhere else); and the risotto possessed the perfect texture. The desserts would challenge the biggest appetite and the beer selection matched well with the menu.
The service came with an informed and knowledgeable smile, and, importantly, the moderate waiting time told you the food wasn't coming out of a microwave.
Speaking as a Somm, and one with an exceptional palate, I find this place outstanding in every detail. Wilmington is lucky to have it.

2  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Located in the historic Cotton Exchange this quaint restaurant will not disappoint. I ate here on a week night with a group of 20 people. I had pesto crusted salmon which was superb. Their crab cakes and fried green tomatoes appetizers were delicious. There are some Gluten-free options on the menu including a dessert. You can expect to pay $18-25 for dinner.

1  Thank MacRanger