“Inventive, simple tasty”

Price range: US$7 - US$27
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 March 2017

Brunch for the last two Sunday's. I reserve the Eccles cake - made by Pump Street Bakery in Orford up the road. Clustered raisins steeped in Armagnac and a butter pastry with crystallized sugar gives the sensation of biting into heaven. Yep this is the best Eccles cake in the world. And that's before sitting down to the menu. But pudding is secure. I settle for salmon smoked with sumac and korabi. Bakery sour dough in the alley with unsalted butter. More heaven. The crispy vehetables in tahini are not on. We have a fresh garlic frittata made with chick pea flour. Perhaps we should have had the veg pickles ( like last week). Apple juice. Great coffee. The Mrs had the lemon posset. Simple. I had had the bacon sandwich the previous week and I can't recommend that enough. There is a very good wine list and shop. The place is bistro-small so book ahead. Train station just down the road if you want to go green. And the nursery there if you want to buy plants. A great Suffolk discovery. Intimate and great value and deliciousness.

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

Oh wow - what an amazing set of flavours on our plates

We have boiled potatoes with salsa Verdi, beef skirt with an anchovy sauce which was stunning, coffee infused smoked salmon the coffee flavour was very subtle but the smoked salmon was lovely. Griddled Cauliflowers with a butter and pine nut sauce and yoghurt. Monksbeard with chickpeas and a chickpea farina bread

The monksbeard was probably the one thing I didn't totally like but it was tasty

We ate so much excellent food we didn't need a pudding

Very reasonable prices and we will definitely go again

You can see why the Observer said it was one of the 50 places to eat

Nice shop and nursery with lovely planting and a good stop on the way to Southwold

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Darsham nursery has always been a pleasure, with its interesting Middle-eastern/Mediterranean food based on simple fresh produce and stunning seasoning, but I visited it this week, and felt it had gone up a notch from its previous high standards. it was the kind of meal where you come away with palate memories lingering that last a long time - I'm still savouring the thought of it over two weeks later, and conspiring how to go back as soon as I can. We had five dishes: Hogget with capers and anchovies, chilli carrots in buttermilk with pistachios, kale cooked with apple juice and miso, octopus on butterbean skordalia, and a simple salad of leaves from the garden. I just wrote that list from memory - doesn't that show how good the food must be if it imprints on my brain? Even the simplest of dishes were prepared with care and by someone with brilliant seasoning skills. The leaves were perfectly fresh and had one of the best dressings I've ever tasted. I usually like my dressings quite acidic and bullying. This was subtle - possibly it was even just salt and olive oil, but it was so good I felt someone was taking hold of me by the hand and leading me back to show me how good subtler tastes can be when done with incredibly fresh ingredients and care (the leaves are picked from outside). The kale on the other hand was punchy and zingy with just a hint of charring - I'm going to try and recreate it at home, but I bet I can't. We fought in a polite English way over the carrots. The hoggett was good, with nice crispy, chewy bits of old lamb. The only dish that didn't knock me sideways was the octopus, possibly because I'd forgotten how garlicky skordalia can be and I was suddenly committed to my new-found delicate tastebuds. But it was all a joy, with a lovely space, delightful kitchen garden to walk round and friendly staff. Our meal came to £32 for two, with water, and we left with that feeling of wellbeing that comes from having eaten wisely and well. Suffolk has needed a place like this for a long time. Go now. Enjoy it. Forgive them if service is a little slow (we waited forty minutes for our first dish) - they're working magic out there in the kitchen and sometimes that takes time.

Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

My first visit and won't be the last! Fresh, thoughtful food, with a very reasonable price tag. Lovely service too - a buzzing atmosphere.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

Superbly welcoming and knowledgeable service and really delicious food. I had a very fine pork chop with aioli, with kale that was a marvel of mouthwatering umami-ness. The little patio is very pleasant for an after-dinner coffee in the afternoon sunshine too.