“Great zoo and it's only going to get better”
Review of Red River Zoo

Red River Zoo
Ranked #3 of 42 things to do in Fargo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Red River Zoo is a leading conservation organization for some of the world's rarest cold climate species. We feature world class exhibits on over 33 beautiful acres. Founded in 1999, we are constantly growing into a leading attraction in the Fargo Moorhead area. Our new interactive Children' Zoo Farm and Nature's Legendary Playground open in 2016! Come in and see for yourself!
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I visited the Red River Zoo in Fargo on October 8th 2011. It has changed quite a bit since I lasted visited a few years ago. The exhibits are beautiful and very modern looking. There wasn't a huge variety of animals but enough for the size of the zoo. They had woodland animals, reptiles, barn animals and some Asian area animals and many different birds. Having the smaller enclosures allow for you to get up close and personal with the animals and make for some really great pictures. All in all it takes about an hour or so to go through but will vary on the party you're with and how fast you go through everything. The only gripe I had which was mentioned was the price, 8 dollars for an adult is quite high compared to other zoos out there. The kids will enjoy the merry-go-round and the play structure. The plans for the future look promising as the zoo hopes to acquire many more animals and are starting to build the enclosures for them.

All reviews
"nice place to visit"
"nice job"
"once a year"

Reviewed 17 August 2011

I've been to MANY Zoos and this one is by far the smallest. Nothing very special there but it is well taken care of and has a good spot for kids to play and occupy them when they get anxious. There is a penny pressing machine as a cheap souvenir. It's not very far from the main road so it's easy to find.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

Two teens, a preteen and I visited the Red River Zoo on a day that the temperatures reached 100 + degrees in Fargo. We went north to escape the heat - no such luck. Fargo is not a really exciting place. We didn't really find any interesting historic areas, no cool food or shopping district on the Red River. But we were really impressed with this little zoo. As a biology teacher, I appreciate all efforts to educate communities about the natural world. I am glad that Fargo has such an institution. With my AAA discount, I paid less than $25.00 for my family of four to be able to wander around a couple of hours all the while marveling at animals that I have never seen and learning a little too.

We really enjoyed the Gray wolf exhibit; we viewed the five wolves from an air-conditioned log cabin. The room had other exhibits and a video of the wolves as pups. The wolves were very active, I have never been that close to these majestic creatures. Definitely worth my price of admission. But we also enjoyed the meerkats, the red panda, the asian bird exhibit with a muntjac running around.

Being someone with two biology degrees and having taught biological sciences for twenty years, I learned quite a bit at this jewell of a place. I was introduced to animals that I had never seen.

Thanks Red River Zoo for a great experience. It was infinitely better than wasting two or three times that much money at the Cinema.

4  Thank barkus1968
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Went to the RR zoo with my wife and daughter. It was the right size for Fargo and had some interesting animals. Seemed like it was a work in progress, very raw, some areas looked professional while others looked like some college students threw it together.
I have been to many zoos across the country and feel the RR Zoo was a very nice zoo, but the price was way to high for experinece. The zoo in Madison, WI (a town very similar in size to Fargo) is free and is 10x the Zoo of the RR Zoo.
If you want to improve your zoo don't do it by charging a high admission fee do it by creating partnerships with universites and fundraising your butt off.

4  Thank sweetmalk
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 March 2011

For those who leave negative posts I have been at the RR Zoo as well as the Bronx Zoo, and San Diego Zoo . For the location the RR Zoo is the perfect size. Sure price of admission is a bit high for the size, but do you know that the higher price gives the RR Zoo the opportunity to be one of the premier locations in the world for successful Red Panda breading . Anyone can go in and out in less than 30 minutes but if you actually stop and take the time to enjoy a family outing you might learn something! Can anyone say why the camels who are native to the African desert can survive well in North Dakota winters? Next time you go to the RR Zoo, don't think of size compared to others but actually find that answer! You might have to take time out of your criticisms and ask someone.

7  Thank bricoler

Been to Red River Zoo? Share your experiences!