Hearthstone Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Spa
Sun Peaks Lodge(Sun Peaks)
  • Pool
Fireside Lodge(Kamloops)
View Hotel
All reviewsmountain high pizzafull size fridgeelevator waithotel managementwinter sportsloft roomnice place to staysmall kitchenwinter seasondvd playerlovely hotelhot tubs arestayed for nightscentral locationenjoyed our stayski lodgespring break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This is a lovely hotel, clean with friendly helpful staff. The room was large with ensuing and small kitchen, that was fully stocked with crockery, utensils etc. I had read reviews regarding the beds being too firm, but I found the bed comfortable and so big I couldn't see my husband in the morning. If you're looking for a budget priced hotel in a quiet village, this is the one for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, as rooms at the back get the smells from the pizza and pasta restaurants
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2017

First, the good: The hotel is nicely appointed. The rooms were in decent shape and had a fully stocked (utensil and dish wise) kitchen. The full size fridge was great. It's right in the village which is perfect to just park your car and wander the rest of the time that you're there.

Now the not so good: The beds are HARD.....like we couldn't sleep on them hard. and the pillows were like giant poofy, hard marshmallows. Your neck is so kinked that you wake up about an hour after you finally do get to sleep and scream in pain because your neck muscles are DYING. I got up at 3:30am and grabbed a towel out of the bathroom and used those instead of the pillows.

I had booked a king bed with a mountain view. There was some debate between me and my husband as to what a "view" was. We were on the second floor and our "view" consisted of the parking lot below, street outside, trees across the street and a wee sliver of mountain across the road if you really jammed your face against the window. I would have expected to be on the fourth floor if I've booked a room with a mountain view. Anyway, after several hours of tossing and turning and trying to sleep, we were woken up at 6:30am by a construction crew on the road side of the building. When we checked in, the reception desk should have mentioned that construction starts at 6:30am and given us the option to move if we chose. In the summer especially when these hotels have very low occupancy, we should have at least been given the heads up with an option to move. Mentioned it to the front desk when we checked out and her response was "yeah, I would hate that if I was on holidays too". I left very annoyed at her response.

As a side note, they do have a common area where you can grab a couple of DVDs to watch in your room but you have to get them when the front desk is open.

Room Tip: If you're up there in summer of 2017, book a room on the village side to avoid the construction noise at 6:30am.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie S
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We discovered the lobby of this hotel while we were eating at Mountain High Pizza and I loved all of the cute little stuffed bears that were placed around in various places. They have two glass cases filled with bears for sale. When I went to buy one, the Front Desk Receptionist said that she had already closed out the credit card machine for the night, but she graciously allowed me to pay with my credit card after she reopened the machine. We didn't stay here but the lobby looked really cozy and had a corner section with a couple of plush chairs and a TV. One bookshelf was full of books and there were a few more that were filled with a huge amount of DVDs that were listed as being free to guests two at a time. Because of the great service we received, we will consider staying here on a future visit.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2017

We really enjoyed our stay at Hearthstone Lodge. It's a great little hotel in a perfect location, right in the village. It's a bit outdated but good for the price point. There is a DVD player where you can go downstairs to rent movies but the cable TV was a bit fuzzy.

The room itself was quite big, a little kitchenette, we had a murphy bed which wasn't the most comfortable but did the trick! I recommend to bring your own shampoo and conditioner. It gets quite hot in the summer time and there is no AC but the room has a fan.

We noticed that if you miss housekeeping the first time, they won't come back so keep that in mind if you need towels.

Overall it was a great little spot that I do recommend.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2017

The hotel has a great location in the village and is very close to the lifts. You can ski down to the lifts each morning and it’s a short walk (less than 5 minutes) back up if you choose not to ski back which isn’t as convenient as walking. The hot tubs are ok though robes are not provided in the rooms which would be useful to wear to and from the hot tubs.

Unfortunately, that’s where the positives end. The hotel was constructed in the early to mid-90’s and hasn’t been refurbished since judging by the décor. The Wi-Fi is incredibly slow once the hotel is more than approximately 25% full, the bed was terribly uncomfortable and the 2nd floor gym has been created from a bedroom with limited, dated equipment. Everything is very tired from the kitchenette to the bathroom and the furnishings and beds are 10 years past their prime and it would seem the hotel was constructed with little to no sound insulation between rooms or floors.

I stayed at the Hearthstone Lodge for the 2016/17 winter season from 24 November to 17 March and the reviews from other guests about paper thin walls and the noise are 100% true. I specifically requested a quiet room prior to my arrival given I was going to be there for 4 months and having read previous reviews, but was given a room on the 3rd floor above Mountain High Pizza. This is the only late night food offering and open to 2am at weekends over the winter season. Naturally the party goers therefore head there when worse for wear and the noise comes with them. After 2 weeks of putting up with the noise I asked for a change of room only to be told there were no other rooms they could move me too! Two weeks into a four month stay and they couldn’t find me another room? Really!

The noise from adjacent rooms (and above/below) is just as bad. The walls are so thin you can hear the next-door occupants having normal conversations, telling their kids off, having friends in for drinks etc and just going about their normal routine.

The noise issue is not helped by the hotel renting out the rooms to large groups who naturally make more noise. This includes school parties who run up and down the corridor yelling at each other and others who are drunk or under the influence of various drugs. There was a permanent haze and smell of marijuana in the hotel corridors which the management ignore (along with the noise) despite stating they have a zero tolerance to drugs and a quiet time after 10pm.

I was staying in the hotel as part of the Winter Sports ski instructor program so didn’t make my booking direct with the hotel. Because of this the hotel management referred me back to the Winter Sports rep with any issues/complaints. I therefore don’t know what was agreed between Winter Sports and the hotel but my room was only cleaned/given a linen change once per week and the standard of the cleaning left a lot to be desired. If I didn’t leave a note requesting it, the carpet wasn’t vacuumed or the tiled floor mopped. It was basically a very quick change of the bedding and towels and on to the next room. This was the case for all the rooms occupied by the Winter Sports Group. I raised this with the Winter Sports on site rep and was told they had the same problem with their room. I was expecting the Winter Sports rep to address the situation rather than agreeing it was an unsatisfactory service but nothing changed. In all the other hotels, I’ve stayed in over the years’ rooms are cleaned daily and supplies replenished but not at the Hearthstone Lodge.

I can’t be certain of the exact price paid but on the basis my single room supplement was £150 per week it seems reasonable to assume the weekly room cost was £300.

In summary, if you are a group under 25 years old who want to get drunk, takes drugs and hold later night room parties then this is the place for you as the management will turn a blind eye. If, however you are a family or a couple or just looking for a reasonable night’s sleep I would strongly recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms above the Sushi restaurant are away from the road and the pizza place.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Neil216
Management response:Responded 30 June 2017

Hello Neil,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time in Sun Peaks.

We checked back with the Wintersports company, who you booked with and who looked after you (in house rep) during your 3 months stay and they informed us that none of the issues that you bring up now in your review were a serious concern for you while you were here.

Had we known how unhappy you are we certainly would have taken immediate measures to meet your needs.

A room move for a reservation of this length unfortunately is next to impossible, especially during the months of December until February but rest assured we would have tried our best.

We would like to point out that the Hearthstone Lodge, just like any other hotel in Sun Peaks, caters to all kinds of travelers who come to enjoy the mountains.
It is families with kids, retirees, couples, groups or sometimes travelers who enjoy having a good time on a weekend getaway.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send this review.

The Bear Country Management Team