1,136 results
All reviewspurple thistledining roomatlantic restaurantgolf coursecape bretoncabot trailnova scotiamiddle head trailingonish beachbreakfast buffetspectacular viewslive musicfish cakeslobsternational parkoutdoor poolbeautiful setting
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The room smelled and earwigs in room and used liquid eggs for the $20.00 breakfest.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Thank you for posting a review regarding your previous stay with us. Our sincerest apologies for your less than exceptional stay here. If you could please contact us directly, we would like to investigate further to see what room you stayed in so we can ensure it is taken care of for our next guests. We would also like an opportunity to resolve your issues for you.

Warm regards,

Angela Steeves

Reviewed 7 November 2010

We stayed at the Keltic Lodge the first weekend of October as part of a "foodie" package called Club Fed. As most of the other reviewers have noted, the location of the hotel is fantastic with magnificent ocean views, but the hotel itself is starting to show its age and the rooms are in need of upgrading given the status (and price) of the property. To summarize:

Food: We were on a package deal called "Club Fed" which included 2 set course dinners (with wine pairings), breakfast at the buffet, a scotch tasting with appetizers, tour of the kitchen & grounds with the chef, etc. Frankly it was great value (we paid just over $300 / person for 2 nights plus all food, wine, etc), the food was amazing and the chef and all the staff spent lots of time with us making sure we were happy. We'd come back again just for this if they do it again, unfortunately for the hotel (but good for us) only 3 couples booked it so we got lots of personal attention, but not sure if they'll do it again (they should, we'll bring friends next time). One downside, our group was eating in the Purple Thistle dining room (in the main lodge) but I understand it was closed down to other guests and would have been even if the food thing hadn't been happening. We've stayed here before and the food & setting at the Purple Thistle has always been excellent and we would have been dissapointed if we had booked the hotel and couldn't have eaten there. Same thing with the lounge / bar in the main lodge, it was shut down and they were using the other one at the main restaurant a couple hundred feet from the main lodge.

Rooms: Our room had a beautiful view (and was actually the same one we stayed in 2 years ago), but the rooms are in desperate need of updating. Not that you are going to want to spend much time in your room watching TV, but the television in our room for example appeared to be from the 80's and had about 12 channels (of which about 8 were watcheable - the others had too much static). The furniture & beds also seem about 20 or 30 years old at least. If you're not fussy you won't mind, but certainly the rooms need to be addressed or the property will continue to fall further behind. Another pet peeve is that there is no automatic checkout like they have at most hotels these days (there are actual keys for the rooms, not swipe cards) so we ended up waiting in line for about 15 minutes to check out which isn't a great way to leave a property.

Location & Other: The location is very beautiful and there's lots to do in the immediate area if you like the outdoors (there's a great short hike to the end of the point that I would highly recommend). We didn't golf this time, but the Highlands Links golf is fantastic (has been ranked #1 in Canada at times) and can be booked as a package with a stay at Keltic Lodge I believe. We had excellent service from the food staff & front desk, but I would echo another reviewer who said that they sometimes had a hard time getting answers from staff (there was a spa element to our package and we got about 5 different answers about what we could book with it depending on who we asked).

Overall this is a great property that just needs a little TLC to bring it back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Townsie
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I recently had another great experience at the Keltic Lodge. They offered an $89.00 a night rate for their last week before closing for the winter. I took full advantage of this and booked an all week stay. My sincere thanks to Sally for extending it by two nights!! I stayed in the main lodge and had a wonderful room. For those of you bent on complaining...they ARE upgrading and renovating the rooms and some of them look really great!! My room was at the end of a hall and I had two scenic views ....one out to the ocean and one of the area behind the lodge and more ocean. The bed in my room was very comfortable with warm clean sheets and blankets...I slept great every night. Each morning I would look forward to looking out the windows at the ocean. My room was spotless clean and kept that way every day by the wonderful housekeeping staff...usually Millie or Torey or a kind Asian gentleman who always wore a smile every time I would encounter them. I never saw a cobweb or any dust anywhere in the room. The shower was great....HOT water and full pressure. Two really useful items in my room that were a nice surprise were the ceiling fan and a huge walk in closet that offered plenty of room for my things. All staff that I encountered during my stay were always very friendly, helpful and had an ever present smile. They really care if you are having a good stay. On one of the evenings they had a great dinner buffet in their Ardan restaurant. Wonderful Prime Rib with demi glaze, potatos, chicken breast, roast pork, shrimp and scallops, mixed vegetables, salad bar and yummy desserts. It was a great meal and my compliments to the chef. Wish I could have thanked hime for i. The new bar area adjacent to Ardan is very nice and in both areas you can gaze out over the views of the ocean to the north. During the rest of the week I had my meals in the traditional Purple Thistle Room in the main lodge.

Each morning there was a wonderful breakfast buffet....they even had a nice lady, Tina who would make a waffle and or custom made omlette for you. She always had a friendly smile. They had so much other food on the buffet you could have a different breakfast every day. The oatmeal is the best I ever had as well as a great multi grain hot cereal called "Red River". (I picked up two boxes at Wal Mart in Sydney before coming home...thanks Susan!!). I would like to mention Alice and Sandy the hostesses, Catherine, Susan and of course Eugene the servers...all provided friendly and excellent service for my meals. The last dinner I had was a wonderful Lobster pot pie....just great and a nice Chocolate/Pecan pie that was terrific for dessert. Each evening in the Highland Sitting Room they had live entertainment with Joel the great bartender who would serve you. There was also some nice ladies who worked when Joel was not there. On the grounds there are a lot of hiking trails and by the way this is a SPECTACULAR location....views of the ocean to the north and south...its a "view like no other". My thanks also to Barry a nice gentleman who worked on the outside grounds. They have these great colorful Adirondac chairs that I always enjoy sitting in with a good book. The fall foliage was also just terrific to see. Over the years the Keltic Lodge has become a destination for me and it is the best place to stay on Cape Breton. Nowhere on the east coast of either Canada or the United States have I experienced a place like this. I live in Indiana and it is a long journey which includes two different plane flights which I coordinate thru Toronto. Try "Westjet" they offer a non stop (seasonal) to Sydney from Toronto....from Sydney it is a two hour scenic drive to the Lodge. Budget rental car sometimes offers a lower rate if you pay in advance online. I was able to get 30% off the normal rate by doing this. My sincere thanks to Angela Steeves the Lodge Manager and her wonderful staff for my memorable stay. "I caress you oh Keltic Lodge in my dreams"

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank grm1897
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I spent one night at the Keltic Lodge, in a double room in the main lodge. The location is out of this world, and truly a special place. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable but the decor is very, VERY dated. I felt like I was staying in my grandma's spare bedroom. Old oak furniture, a small TV, natty old dressers. Weird. The photos of the rooms they use on their website are not representative of the actual room we stayed in. BUT...the staff is friendly and the place is well run. I was just surprised and a little disappointed that the attention to detail was not there. Also, the only option for dinner on the Saturday evening was a buffet at the restaurant on the property. For the caliber of the establishment it surprised me again that there was not a 5 star restaurant and a full menu on a Saturday night. The food on the buffet was a little weird. Prime Rib in the middle of the ocean? Really? But is was tasty. Overcooked scallop and baby shrimp. I would have loved to have ordered some mussels and a nice lobster tail or something. Strange.But, again, the staff was very friendly, Not sure if i would "highly" recommend this place but if you're travelling along the Cabot Trail and would like something a little romantic, this is the place. Just plan on not staying in the room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
AshleyNCH, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Thank for you providing a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback as we are always trying to improve. We apologize that you were not happy with your room. We are upgrading rooms as funds become available and hopefully all rooms will be updated soon. We recently changed our food and beverage concept and have been adjusting menus, options, and service as the season progresses. Your feedback helps.

It's great that you enjoyed the location and spectacular scenery. We take great care in cleaning and maintaining our rooms and facilities. Our staff work diligently to provide exceptional service and they are glad you recognized this.

We hope you can return once again to enjoy the location and service and an even better room and menu.

Warm regards,

Angela Steeves

Reviewed 19 October 2010

We loved everything about the Keltic Lodge. Excellent Staff, Facilities and Food, made for a very memorable get a way. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple