“One of a Kind”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2017

This place is busy! We called 5 times with no one answering the phone to be able to make a reservation so we ended up stopping by in the afternoon to make one in person for that evening. We couldn't get in til 8pm, but that was fine.
It was pretty dark when we finally arrived and it was chilly inside with the doors open and all the fans on in the restaurant.
Our service was top notch with our server allowing us to sample a couple beers before settling on the kind we wanted.
Our food came out quicker than I believe it ever has, anywhere before! My husband decided on the Scottish Burger that had the most delicious onion rings on it. I totally snagged one to eat myself and it must have been battered with a beer batter for fish because I have never had a tastier onion ring in my life! The whole burger was very good he said, and he ate every last morsel of it.
I ordered the Veg Curry. I love curry and I love spicy food, however, this was not spicy at all. It had a very sweet flavor, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The curry had peas and sweet potato in it, which may have added to the sweeter taste. I used the Naan bread that it came with to mop up the remainder of the curry sauce as I finished the meal. Totally delicious!
While we were waiting for our meals we were simply observing the place, and noticed that the bartender who was drying the wine glasses at the bar was using a lamp to test the glasses after he dried them to make sure that there were no water marks and smudges. That is an art right there and we were super impressed by that. We also noticed that each beer was served both in the matching glass and with the matching coaster. It's the simple little things like this that really made us feel like they truly took care in the whole customer experience. We will remember this dinner for a very long time.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Went here for a late dinner Friday night and lunch Saturday. The fish and chips, one piece, $12, was fantastic and huge. I couldn't finish it. My husband had steak frites, also great. Fantastic beer selection with matching glasses and coasters for each beer. My picky 7 year old had noodles with cheese and butter. She claimed it was the best place she has eaten in the world. My other daughter had the sausage and pretzel starter. Pretzel was a little dry. Service was great. For lunch, we had duck wings, spicy and great. I had a bloody Ceaser, honestly best I ever had. Huge patio, but a wait, so didn't sit there. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Stopped in on our way home from Tobermory. I've been meaning to get to this place all summer, but for one reason or another couldn't until yesterday, but it was well worth the wait! Both my friend and I had the roast, which not only was beautifully done but came with one of the best yorkshire puddings I've had in a restaurant (and I'm fussy about my yorkshires!).
Service was attentive without being smothering, and you can't beat the selection of Ontario beers. We'll definitely be back!

1  Thank TheWormwood
Reviewed 10 September 2017

The black Dog has been our go-to for the past 6 years. Sadly, it's just not what it used to be. The atmosphere is still great, and it seems to still be thee hot spot in town, but the food just isn't worth a 5 star rating anymore.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Durng our two day getaway we visited this patio two times. It is a lively and lovely patio, the service is good as is the food and the beer.