We travelled as a party of 8, and chose this resort based on the positive reviews that it has received, and were not disappointed. We have visited many all inclusive resorts, in Mexico, Cuba, Dominican, Panama, ,Costa Rica, the Dutch Antillies etc. and found the Grand Bahia Principe Coba to be on par with the best of them. The resort is made up of 3 fully separate resorts Coba, Tulum and Alukumal and as a result it is quite large and because it has been built on a circular pattern, finding your way around can be a bit confusing. Better signage indicating the direction to the beach for instance would be an improvement The Coba is a fair distance from the beach approx. 10-15 minute walk but there are lots of shuttles, which make getting around quite easy, if you prefer not to walk. The Coba is a very family friendly resort with a great kids pool with lots of slides etc, as well there is a teens only area plus a small playground and indoor area for pre teens.
Our only real complaint is the cost of the room safe at $5.00 US per day is excessive, as most resorts we have stayed at offered a safe free of charge, or at a nominal cost around 1.00 per day.
Food - in general the buffet at the Coba was quite good, although we felt the buffet at the Alukumal to be superior as it offered a more varied selection, the only thing we were dissaponted in was the bacon which was only real on selected days,and the rest of the time it was some kind of synthetic meat that had the texture and taste of fried baloney.
The Ala cartes were excellent, good service, great food and nice atmosphere, Our favorite was the Gourmet. In both the buffets and the Ala cartes, the house red wines were passable, but the whites were of somewhat lower quality.
Pool and beach snack bars served a good variety of foods, also buffet style, unlike some resorts that had only burgers, hot dogs and fries at their pool snack bars.
Beaches, lots of chairs but most were taken by 10:00 am, same with the pool chairs. it was a bit frustrating as many chairs seemed to remain empty, with only a towel or a book on them for several hours, while the occupants were somewhere else.
Except for the pool bars that closes at 5:00 pm. the bars opened at 10:00 am and closed at 10:30 pm , so there was little the way of rowdy party goers making there way home at 3:00 am as there is in other resorts.
Entertainment The disco,is located at the Hacienda a good distance from the guest rooms, so the noise from the disco was not a disturbance. However the nightly entertainment which ends around 11:00 was very loud, as the staff seems to feel that maximum volume is the only way to go. Some of the shows were quite good.
Rooms clean, well appointed, comfortable and well maintained, but the bedding always felt damp even with the air on full. The only drawback to our room was that it was a ground floor unit and the sprinkler system came on at 7:00 each morning rain or shine and sprayed on the balcony making it unusable if you like to have your morning coffee on the balcony.
Grounds: very well maintained, with gardening staff working constantly to replace plantings and weed the flower beds.
Staff The staff are friendly, polite, well trained and very helpful. Eduardo at the checkout is an exceptional employee with a remarkable memory.
Service. good, and problems, if any, are quickly resolved.
We would recommend this resort, however would not likely return as we prefer to visit a new area each year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Expedia so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico